Exercise n00b says: "Please help me build a routine"
03-09-2013, 01:23 AM
Exercise n00b says: "Please help me build a routine"
Hi all!
I admit that I'm a total n00b to all things exercise. Here's where I am:
- 30 years old
- 5'4"
- 275 lbs
- hoping to lose body fat and build fabulous muscles like KiKi and Lucia so that I will be strong as I age
- I have no experience w/ exercise and/or building any sort of routine

Where in the world do I start? I don't care much for cardio, but I can do it if I need to. I'm just overwhelmed by all the choices and *really* could use some good old-fashioned guidance. Are there any trainers that could help train me?! big grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2013, 06:59 PM
RE: Exercise n00b says: "Please help me build a routine"
Hi there! You have exactly the same stats I did when I started my journey. I've since lost about 100 lbs. In the very beginning I was so out of shape but I knew I had to get myself past that hump. I actually started training for a 5k which was so incredibly hard and I thought I was going to die running for 1 minute. I will say though that while I have since decided I hate running, it was a good thing for me, to show me that I could do things I thought Impossible. I also took a boot camp class and kickboxing. The kickboxing was and probably still is my favorite form of cardio. It was not a lot of impact which was nice, but I got a killer burn and it made me few tough. I would recommend also incorporating a few full body workouts too. New rules of lifting for women has great ideas there or strong lifts is a good basic intro to lifting.
Shoot for 3 full body weight days (about an hour each time)
If you want, add In two cardio days.
That should be a good start for you I would think.

Time to ditch the scale and pick up the barbell!!!
03-09-2013, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2013 09:24 PM by Kiki.)
Hi & welcome!

Being fresh on the scene is a beautiful thing! Pretty much anything you do from here will "work"

I'm not sure what you have available as far as equipment, but as Becca mentioned New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great place to start. I'd also recommend The big book of women's exercises

If you browse the site, we have all of our recommended items there to give you an idea of where to start. We have exercise routine books that we recommend (you may be able to find at the library), DVDs that I use for working out at home, and equipment ideas for setting up your own home gym (Craigslist and garage sales will often have many of them)

Items we recommend are here:
Http://em2wl.com/shop

If you will be working out at a gym, check out the workout plans that we post on the site. Lucia and I are trainers, and starting this past Jan, once/month we post free plans. They last 4 wks or so, and include pictures/vids showing exactly what each exercise is.

March workout plan can be found here: http://eatmore2weighless.com/march-total...supersets/

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Thank you both for your help!

I think I will check out the books first b/c I figure they'll have some introduction to exactly what one is to do during a workout session.

I know, super simple, but... things that workout instructors take for granted, I'm not sure I understand. Like, when they say "do a warm up" or "cool down" I'm not entirely sure I know what moves to do, for how long, or how I should feel afterwards! blushing

I just want to be sure that I've done everything properly, and with the right form so that I get the result w/o hurting myself, ya know?

Can't wait to get started! lovestruck

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Exercise substitutes jturner2 4 723 09-04-2017 05:39 PM
Last Post: jturner2
  lifting/exercise during reset mjj79 2 1,633 07-26-2015 06:59 PM
Last Post: jaeone
  Can you recommend a stretching routine or workout? shinealot 6 4,079 04-14-2015 10:11 AM
Last Post: shinealot
  Routine Gemmybean 2 1,611 07-30-2014 01:26 PM
Last Post: Gemmybean