Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What to expect once hit cut?
04-06-2013, 05:52 AM
What to expect once hit cut?
Getting close to cut time, anyone in or doing cut, can you give me an idea what to expect body wise if I lower my cals by 10%. Should i feel hungry at first? I just don't want to lose too much muscle and it scares me when I start feeling hungry (thinking "am I undoing my work?").
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2013, 11:32 AM
RE: What to expect once hit cut?
Hey girl, I just came off of an 8wk cut. I had to end it early, but will probably be back to it again in a couple months.

For most people it goes something like this:

~first week or two - ravaging hunger, but noticeable deflation from the lowering of cals. The scale typically is quite kind in the beginning

~next few weeks, you become a bit more accustomed to the lower cals, but the scale isn't as kind. Either it shoots back up or stays the same. However, you are still noticeably smaller.

~from then on, you pretty much want to smash your scale with a hammer, it is not giving you any clear indication of your progress, you may catch one good weigh in per month (usually a week or so before ovulation or TOM), but your scale is a jerk for the rest of the month

~if you're eating a slight cut as you mentioned, you will continue to get smaller, tummy will go down, and pics/measurements will show a downward trend.

~keep the protein high, BCAAs if needed, and cardio short, sweet and KILLER. Keep lifting heavy, changing your rep pattern every 4 wks or so. And take pics every 4 wks. You will see steady improvements. And some months, the scale may even show it as well.

happy

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2013, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2013 10:20 PM by amazegirl.)
Thanks! I honestly would not have been able to do this whole reset without the support of the forum. I can look up all I like about the science, and understand it, but the most important thing has been knowing what's normal to be feeling! I can't wait until after the first month of cut, because I've already had compliments that I'm looking firmer!
04-09-2013, 11:09 PM
During the first 2 weeks of hunger what type of energy levels are to be expected?
04-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Well, if you've been lifting heavy and hitting "beast mode" regularly, it's kind of a drag to watch your lifts decrease. That's usually the hardest part for me when moving from bulk to cut. I HATE seeing how strong I've gotten, and then watching that diminish. Even though you're still lifting heavy, it's just a tad harder to put up those same #s when eating in deficit. As you figure out how to surround your workouts with carbs, you'll be able to minimize it a bit, but you simply can't expect the same strength when operating on a "budget."

Other than workouts, you get the whole "2:30 feeling" lol. Where you're kinda ready to take a nap around 3ish. Not too much though. It's just that you don't really realize how much more energy you have from eating more, until you're eating less. LOL.

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

04-11-2013, 01:35 AM
I've just finished reset (end of week 8). The past 2 weeks my body has normalized and noticeably dropped in size. At the moment my energy is OK, but not like it was prior to the fatigue phase of cut. I'm wondering about doing a 4 week 10% cut then break. I feel nervous going into it because I lost some size in the past 2 wks at my apparent maintenance, should my diet break be after a shorter time period? I'm just nervous about undoing too much hard work I put in. I really don't want my body to reset at a too low metabolism again. I have noticed so many good changes in my body since reset.

This week is rest week and I am eating 2174 cal/day. Next week my apparent cut amount is 2174 cal/day with my added exercise.

Note that I have also been studying hard for some exams and assessments these past 2 weeks as well.
04-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Iv'e actually been so hungry this week. Up until rest week I was eating 2300-2400/day. Now Im soo hungry (on day 5 up in the middle of night for hours because so hungry. I actually had a nap on Tuesday this weel=k So even though my 10% cut is calc at 2174, I'm thinking I may need to do 5% cut instead at 2300? I can't stand this level of hunger at the moment because I can't focus on anything?
04-11-2013, 03:43 PM
If you're seeing noticeable changes at the higher cal level, honestly, I'd stay there. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. Because 9xs out of 10, your body will end up rebelling during cut, and you'll see LESS changes. So, you may wanna wait until cutting is actually necessary.

I think starting somewhere around that 2300 mark sounds fine. Only decrease if you have to. The insane hunger levels can sometimes take you further from your goals. (On a good note, the hunger is a sure sign that your body has adapted to the higher level cals, and your metabolism is firing...)

If nothing else, you could shoot for a deficit every other day, or only 2-3 xs per week. That's probably plenty to see results. The higher cal days will continue to keep your metabolism higher.

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

04-11-2013, 09:22 PM
so 2400 one day, and 2175 the next? or 2300 one day and 2175 the next? That does sound like an interesting idea. I just want to have a plan before hitting it.
04-12-2013, 12:30 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 12:30 AM by Kiki.)
Yep. Anywhere from 2300-2400 on high days (preferably coincide with lift days) and then cut on the alternate/off days.

That should really help you with the cut transition. Knowing that the high day is around the corner should help you make it through the low days. wink

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  When can I expect to see some fat loss? brookebuchanan 5 3,411 04-22-2014 07:07 PM
Last Post: jaeone
  What to expect? Am I doing this right? Kristinm 4 2,688 08-13-2013 08:41 PM
Last Post: Kristinm