Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What to expect once hit cut?
04-12-2013, 06:32 AM
RE: What to expect once hit cut?
Thanks heaps happy. I'll see how I go. My plan is to check measurements this Sunday and decide from there but I like the idea of eating a bit more on lift days for my sanity happy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2013, 07:24 AM
I measured and even though I feel slimmer, my weight is the same and picture seem to only show minor difference. but I'm still cautious, so I'm going to take it slow and start from high, working my way down.
04-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Sounds like you're doing great! Keep me posted big grin

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Everyone seems to be having the same good results. I reset and gained 12 pounds and went up from a size 14 which I had managed to maintain for several years to a 16. None of my clothes fit. As you may be able to tell, I'm pissed and frustrated. I started my cut 4 weeks ago and no movement what so ever. I'm the same weight I got up to during the reset - 201 pounds. I'm less angry about that symbolic point past 200 pounds and more angry about being a size 16.

I have had a lot of trouble with my macros. I tried the 40/30/30 for months but didn't have any results so I've changed them to 45% protein but I'm finding it nearly impossible to eat 214 grams of protein a day which is what MFP is telling me my requirements are.

My reset was tumultuous. I was too scared to really reset for 2 months so ate at a slight cut. No results. Then I ate at my TDEE of 2500 cals for about a month and the pounds just started piling on. In the fear that I was not tracking 100% accurately and eating more than 2500, I made my goal 2300 cals and still gained. I did that for a full 8 weeks then cut to 2000 cals. It's now been 4 weeks and no change. I've changed my goal to 1900 in the assumption that my tracking is inaccurate. I don't know what else to do. I'm on Phase 7 of NRFLFW and I've gained strenth and serious muscle but also fat. I'm not doing extra cardio as recommended in the book and maybe I should. My body, incidentally, is struggling with the heavy lifting. My hips and hamstrings are so tight. I've felt better doing a more rounded exercise routine.

I'm heartbroken. This feels like yet another diet promise that didn't work and worse, I put on weight I had managed to keep off for a decade.
05-18-2013, 07:38 PM
I am having the same problem.. I gained 8 lbs during my reset and went from a size 8 to a 12.. I am only 5' tall so 8lbs is a lot on my short frame. I have cut for 4 weeks and nothing no weight loss or inches. I believe I have gained another pound. I am stronger and I can see some muscle definition in my arms. I do some cardo but not really HIIT maybe that is what I need to try. I feel like it is not all muscle that I am gaining because my stomach seems to be getting bigger. I really want this to work! It all makes since to me fuel your body, lift weights, exercise and loose inches but for some reason it is not working for me..
I really try hard not to compare myself to others, but it is hard to read all of the success stories and not get discouraged. I feel that I eat healthy 80% if the time I work out hard and I should be seeing some good results, but I am not.
I will keep at it I really don't think of this as a diet fad though I believe it is a lifestyle change.. I hope it is going to start working soon. Just know you are not the only one having a hard time..

Best of luck to you,

Tammy peace
05-19-2013, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2013 03:04 PM by Kiki.)
(05-18-2013 12:14 PM)lilbuzzinbee Wrote:  I'm heartbroken. This feels like yet another diet promise that didn't work and worse, I put on weight I had managed to keep off for a decade.

I'll start here, because this will be the root of everything else. Try not to be discouraged. We have all been there with our frustrations and woes, but trust me when I say that stressing will only compound the problem. Instead, lets pick things apart, troubleshoot, and see what tweaks may/may not be necessary. This is NOT a diet, it is your lifestyle. And if it is looked at as a "diet" then you will absolutely become frustrated.

I'm sure that you've read this before, but now would be a great refresher about the "battery charging" analogy. wink
http://eatmore2weighless.com/upping-cals...to-expect/

Gaining is common, and typically overcome. Yes there are a few special snowflakes that do not gain or experience difficulty, but for most of us...we gain. I gained well over 20lbs myself. Things went up before they went down, but most importantly, I eventually surpassed my goals for myself. Minor setbacks along the way eventually became unimportant. But you have to be all in. This has to be your new life..not a diet.

Now, let's see what we can do to get you on track wink

(05-18-2013 12:14 PM)lilbuzzinbee Wrote:  Everyone seems to be having the same good results. I reset and gained 12 pounds and went up from a size 14 which I had managed to maintain for several years to a 16. None of my clothes fit. As you may be able to tell, I'm pissed and frustrated. I started my cut 4 weeks ago and no movement what so ever. I'm the same weight I got up to during the reset - 201 pounds. I'm less angry about that symbolic point past 200 pounds and more angry about being a size 16.

You're definitely not the first person to struggle with this. Here is a similar post: http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/show...hp?tid=237

and an article that discusses this...
http://eatmore2weighless.com/gaining-wei...ing-reset/

(05-18-2013 12:14 PM)lilbuzzinbee Wrote:  I have had a lot of trouble with my macros. I tried the 40/30/30 for months but didn't have any results so I've changed them to 45% protein but I'm finding it nearly impossible to eat 214 grams of protein a day which is what MFP is telling me my requirements are.

I do not think that 45% protein is really necessary. where does that put you for carbs and fat? Unless you are diabetic or have another condition that prevents you from being able to eat carbs, lowering them to such an extent will continue to create a carb sensitive environment, and your body will balloon at the slightest inkling of carbs.

(05-18-2013 12:14 PM)lilbuzzinbee Wrote:  My reset was tumultuous. I was too scared to really reset for 2 months so ate at a slight cut. No results. Then I ate at my TDEE of 2500 cals for about a month and the pounds just started piling on. In the fear that I was not tracking 100% accurately and eating more than 2500, I made my goal 2300 cals and still gained. I did that for a full 8 weeks then cut to 2000 cals. It's now been 4 weeks and no change. I've changed my goal to 1900 in the assumption that my tracking is inaccurate. I don't know what else to do.

This is HUGE.
1) if your weight never stabilized, then your metabolism did NOT reset Sad
A successful reset is essential to a successful cut. A metabolism reset is about *healing,* not about fat loss. Once the healing takes place, then fat loss can resume. But if the healing never happens, it's like riding around with the spare/donut tire on your car. The true problem has not been fixed, and will still resurface.

2) if your cals were all over the place, it would absolutely contribute to weight gain, as your body doesn't have a clue of what is going on, and what you really want it to do. Consistency is very important in the beginning, so that your body can trust that you are willing to feed it properly.

This article is crucial reading to understand why rushing the reset will undermine your efforts.
http://eatmore2weighless.com/metabolism-...ch-longer/

And here is one about changing things too frequently:
http://eatmore2weighless.com/ive-tried-i...ing-works/

(05-18-2013 12:14 PM)lilbuzzinbee Wrote:  I'm on Phase 7 of NRFLFW and I've gained strenth and serious muscle but also fat. I'm not doing extra cardio as recommended in the book and maybe I should. My body, incidentally, is struggling with the heavy lifting. My hips and hamstrings are so tight. I've felt better doing a more rounded exercise routine.

feel free to add in a moderate cardio day to help with muscle soreness/tightness. But more-so, consider adding Pilates/yoga to your routine which will help not only with the tightness, but in keeping your cortisol levels under control. Becoming stressed out about the process will add pounds to your physique without you eating a single calorie.

Please take as much time as needed to surf the site, check out (every) link that I've provided (by the sheer volume of links, you can see that you're very normal in your experience), and allow yourself to really be all in. Allow yourself to know that everything that you are experiencing is completely normal. This journey is as much about mental healing as physical. Allow yourself the time to heal.

Most importantly, use your support system. We are here for you, we have been through it and come out on the other side. We understand.

big hug

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

05-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Originally posted in 2012 (by me) on the MFP forum...thought it may also be applicable...

Quote:Just wanted to pop in and say, that I'm SO sorry if I've EVER painted a rosy picture of EM2WL and WEIGHT loss. I've always tried my best to keep it completely real, as to how the scale will react, the amount of patience that is required, and how VERY long the process is. It is not a quick fix, nor would I want it to be, because I would not have learned the things that I have learned over the years, nor been able to accomplish the things that I've accomplished.

I have been on this journey for YEARS. There are still areas that I would like to see improve. Some will be in the near future, others are still a long time coming.

Anyway, there seems to be an ongoing trend of freak out/panic over weight gain. PLEASE understand how the scale plays into all of this *before* beginning. It is a tool. one of many. It does not own you, it does not tell you your worth, and it does not tell you the entire story. Period.

I gained 20 lbs on my reset and I have NOT lost it, to this day. Yes, when you see pics of me, it seems like I magically gained 20lbs of muscle or something, but I didn't. That 20 lbs came on, pretty much instantly. It did not look like it does now, and I had to live with the ups and down of it. The clothes getting tighter before they became looser. Feeling as if I'd outgrown my entire wardrobe, and even having to purchase NEW ones to accommodate the rapid gain. I even got to the point where I gave UP. Not in the sense that everyone talks about (like "I'm going back to 1200 cals!") but in the sense that "oh well, I refuse to underfeed my body, and reach an unmaintainable weight...so if this is the size that I am, it's the size that I am"

It was THEN that I quit stressing and let the real transformation begin. And it still continues to this day.

We recently posted this on FB, an old blog post (blog is no longer updated) that motivated me when the progress seemed slow going. It shows a woman's 6 YEAR progress w/eating properly and lifting weights.
http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/08/0...s-a-while/

I hope some of this helps someone, or at least gives a more realistic view point of how many of the bodies that we admire or hope to achieve take time...especially when done RIGHT. wink

Again...I'm sorry, if I've ever made it seem to be something other than what it is.

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

05-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks Kiki. I'll hang in there and re-read those links.

-Bee
05-19-2013, 09:09 PM
No problem, Bee wink

Keep me posted. You can do this.

Another thing about if you're still experiencing tightness of the hamstrings, be sure to "break parallel" when performing moves like squats, etc.. If you are used to only stopping at parallel, it eventually shortens the hamstring (because it doesn't go through full range of motion) which would cause the tight feeling. wink

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

05-20-2013, 12:18 PM
re: reset

This is HUGE.
1) if your weight never stabilized, then your metabolism did NOT reset Sad
A successful reset is essential to a successful cut. A metabolism reset is about *healing,* not about fat loss. Once the healing takes place, then fat loss can resume. But if the healing never happens, it's like riding around with the spare/donut tire on your car. The true problem has not been fixed, and will still resurface.

2) if your cals were all over the place, it would absolutely contribute to weight gain, as your body doesn't have a clue of what is going on, and what you really want it to do. Consistency is very important in the beginning, so that your body can trust that you are willing to feed it properly.

OK, so how do I know if I've reset? By this logic, I did not properly reset. I "knew" I should give it at least 3 months but I got so freaked out by the gain and add in size that I stopped at 2 months. Also, I found it difficult to eat well while eating a lot. There was a struggle to maintain a discipline in purity, let's say, while seemingly having a free range in terms of calories. After so many years of trying to eat less, getting 2300 or 2500 calories a day felt like a vacation and I felt like I was indulging all the time.

But regardless of that, if I need to try to reset again, how will I know when to cut?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  When can I expect to see some fat loss? brookebuchanan 5 6,011 04-22-2014 07:07 PM
Last Post: jaeone
  What to expect? Am I doing this right? Kristinm 4 4,461 08-13-2013 08:41 PM
Last Post: Kristinm