Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What to expect once hit cut?
05-20-2013, 01:31 PM
RE: What to expect once hit cut?
Well, the main 3 points from the article above state the mental aspect. It is extremely crucial, that you be honest with yourself in these measures, to know if you've really "recovered."

To reiterate they were:

1) If you are not recovered mentally, then whether it’s been 6 weeks or 16, you are NOT finished resetting. We give “guidelines” for how long to reset, but your body does not magically know that it’s been 5 weeks and 6 days, thus resetting on the 7th day. Take this time to understand why you are resetting in the first place.

2) If you are rushing to finish your reset, because you just want to “get it over with” or “hurry up and start cutting” because you “just need to get this weight off”…you have not mentally recovered, and should honestly consider continuing your reset. When your reset is over, you just know. You completely comprehend that this is your new way of life, and that you will NEVER go back to low cal madness, no matter how long it takes.

3) If 1200-1400 cals is still an option in the back of your mind somewhere, you have not recovered.

I would way that these top three, along with experiencing weight stabilization at your actual TDEE, are the key signs that you've fully reset. wink

Another big clue...you'd be perfectly happy eating at TDEE and it will no longer feel like a chore (this takes a while for most of us)..

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-20-2013, 04:57 PM
a chore to eat 2300 calories? hardly. angel

my weight climbed from 186 to over 200 during TDEE and i thought i stabilized at 201 so i started my cut. how long should i test the stabilization? months or weeks? should the general rule of resetting at 3 months apply to 3 months at a stabilized weight?

and thank you very much for your attention. i can't tell you how much i appreciate this.

-bee
Find all posts by this user
05-21-2013, 06:11 AM
I did 4 weeks at cut and then had my break week last week. I accepted I was going to cut extremely slowly with 2-3 days cut value per week until I could physically handle more without impeding on my daily activities. I could FEEL the places I was getting smaller. But then I started to bloat around break week last week on the Tuesday. I came down with flu symptoms around the same time. I'm still getting over it a week later, but I have been feeling so huge and pudgy. I feel like I can tell the difference myself in the feel of fat weight and water weight but I'm not sure cause it's been hanging around for a while (since TOM lead into break week when I got the flu).
So the question is, is the flu making me hold onto crazy water weight? How long till it goes?
Last Monday I weighed 124.5 pounds, this (a week later) morning I weighed 127.8 pounds. I hit the gym this afternoon for the first time in a week as well.
05-22-2013, 10:24 PM
I wanted to update on the Tuesday post. Waking the next day on the Wednesday I felt soo much less pudgy. It 'felt' like after doing the gym the previous day for the first time in 10 days my sinuses cleared and all the water/pudginess dropped. weighing myself on the Thurs (day after wed rest day) the number is still higher but I look much leaner. (I was thrilled I didnt have a pudgy face for my birthday dinner).

Could this be getting over the sickness? I don't think it could just be pumping up the muscles, because then I'd have my pump under pudge and feel slightly bigger. I visualized the sensation I had that night as water draining out of my soft tissue and into the muscle? No scientific basis for this assumption, just me feeling sensations in my body.

Cut is turning out alot like Kikki said.

Constant thoughts of what am I doing, is this working? Feeling hard and then feeling soft again. The scale is bouncing up and down, but not shifting much, my measurements with the tape are up and down or barely shift too. I really put this down to myself not measuring the right spot. My Hip measurement won't shift, but I'm losing weight in the underside of my butt very slow. Because I don't have much to lose I have to take it slow, and a lot of the time feel like nothing's happening. BUT every time I run my hand down my sides there's a little less there than I expect. I'm banking on week 6 or so to see the visual difference, but I already feel it.

One of the differences I do notice between prior to the reset and after. I was still skinnier prior to reset, still with some tone, but now I have a better shape. Relatively my Bust is bigger and my waist is smaller, which is awesome. I am really hoping in the coming weeks to see a change in my progress picture, I feel like I'm feeling it before I see or anyone notices it.

Anyone feel this a bit in cut?
05-23-2013, 09:05 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2013 09:12 PM by Kiki.)
@amazegirl - yes! That's exactly how the experience goes. There are ups and downs, but you ultimately reach your goal. It's just not as linear as we'd often love for it to be. wink

@bee- stabilization should be done at actual TDEE. The reason I insinuate that maybe you didn't stabilize is that you lowered cals, and ate less than your actual TDEE Sad. So if anything you have reset to a lower number. The actual reset part of the process doesn't begin until you actually reach TDEE and stay there. happy

This also ties into the mental part of the reset which doesn't appear finished. Reading your original post, I still see a lot of fear over proper fueling. It's essential to conquer this before moving to cut. That's what I mean by it being a chore. Something that you still feel reluctant/forced to do Sad

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

05-30-2013, 05:59 AM
(05-23-2013 09:05 PM)Kiki Wrote:  @amazegirl - yes! That's exactly how the experience goes. There are ups and downs, but you ultimately reach your goal. It's just not as linear as we'd often love for it to be. wink

@bee- stabilization should be done at actual TDEE. The reason I insinuate that maybe you didn't stabilize is that you lowered cals, and ate less than your actual TDEE Sad. So if anything you have reset to a lower number. The actual reset part of the process doesn't begin until you actually reach TDEE and stay there. happy

This also ties into the mental part of the reset which doesn't appear finished. Reading your original post, I still see a lot of fear over proper fueling. It's essential to conquer this before moving to cut. That's what I mean by it being a chore. Something that you still feel reluctant/forced to do Sad

I have been cutting for 6 weeks now. I felt a difference inside - everything from just going for a walk to sitting at a desk feels firmer and more solid if that makes any sense. But there was no change in measurements and little visual difference. The scale shows a 1lb drop over the 6 weeks. Then this morning I just felt different. The scale is the same (it goes up, it goes down but the trend is level) but when I measured I've lost 1" off my hips, which is really my belly. I've also lost quarter to half inch off waist, thighs and arms. This really is a slow process but it does work if you let it. I'm on a few days holiday at the moment, just relaxing at home, and it may just be the 'chill out' factor that allowed the fat loss or it could just be it was due to happen any way.
05-30-2013, 12:48 PM
That's awesome Lindsey!

It usually is related to that "chill" factor. We often don't realize that our body responds (usually negatively) to the "watching/waiting/hoping" mentality, but as soon as we say, "whatever happens, happens" our body relaxes and does what we were hoping for lol.

It's a crazy process.

I was just saying on MFP that I just returned from a two MONTH vacation of eating whatever I wanted, and working out sporadically. Didn't gain a pound. A lot to be said for learning to work with your body rather than against it. And relaxing. It just really shows that this way of living truly becomes a lifestyle. wink

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

06-02-2013, 12:34 AM
The week as soon as I got better however, I suddenly got an ear infection where I was in pain for 1 week, then once that started getting better I'm coughing again. I've missed out on so much class at college that I've had to defer my exams.

I'm listening to my body when it calls for food. For once when I'm sick, even though I'm doing nothing, if I'm hungry i'll respond and not worry if it takes me over TDEE and it seems logically ridiculous to me that I would need any more food.

This is another bold experiment for me. I have no idea if when I'm better I will be the same weight, larger or smaller. But I'm letting go of the cut mentality until I'm better and just focusing on repairing. I think its upon the point of starting sickness I get hungry, and towards the end I get ravaging hunger. I have no idea where my body will be at when I'm better.

This has been my third week of some kind of sickness an I'm not quite sure why, it appears I'm just catching what's around, no relation to each other.

Kiki, did you find the first year you started chilling and eating more you got sick lots or would that just be my college stress?
06-03-2013, 11:47 AM
I actually got sicker when I was eating less. Never made the connection until I increased cals and discovered that I didn't get sick nearly as much.

Now when I'm sick, I make sure to eat at TDEE. Just like I decided to cut my cut phase short (and move to maintenance) this year when I injured my shoulder. I fully believe in fueling for my weaknesses now that I understand that I only make it harder for my body to heal properly by eating in deficit.

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

08-14-2014, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2014 01:41 PM by Tiredofdieting.)
Hey all! So I have been reading through the posts and still have some questions. I completed an 8 week reset 2 weeks ago, even though I do not have a history of ED, I wanted to do it because my cals have been all over the place for the past 2 years. The lowest I went down to was 1400 through out this time,(for about 2 months) which is 300 cals under my BMR of 1700, and a max of 1600-1700. In any event, I am 5.75", and based on scooby, my maintenance cals based on activity level was 2380. (Lightly active, based on sedentary but doing CLX 35-40 mins a day for 3-4 times a week). Prior to CLX, I did mostly cardio 3 times a week and according to my fitbit, my weekly avg was about 2400, which is close to what scooby gave me. I have been cutting for the past week and a half (as of today) and set my fitness pal to lose .5 cals a week, which is a 12% cut. Since cutting, I have started the heavy-light workout plan of this forum, and really love it. This plan is more time than I spent on CLX, (1 more day a week and an hr long compared to 3 days a week on CLX and 35-40 mins long) so I'm trying to figure out whether I am still lightly active or moderately active. I have been experiencing hunger pangs at night, (not enough to make me want to eat a whole meal) but I understand that this is a good indicator that my metabolism is on fire. Based on this info, my questions are,
Am I still lightly active?
Should I expect to see some kind of results after 4 weeks on the 12% cut? Because right now, I have not noticed anything different apart from the slight hunger pangs.
Diet break after 4 weeks even if no results after a month?

Please advise, thanks!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  When can I expect to see some fat loss? brookebuchanan 5 5,726 04-22-2014 07:07 PM
Last Post: jaeone
  What to expect? Am I doing this right? Kristinm 4 4,261 08-13-2013 08:41 PM
Last Post: Kristinm