Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Will I lose LBM if I can't "lift heavy"?
04-17-2013, 11:57 PM
Will I lose LBM if I can't "lift heavy"?
Hi everyone!

I've noticed that, like many fat loss communities these days, you guys recommend lifting heavy weights to prevent a loss of muscle while reducing calories. Well, what if somebody is physically challenged and not able to lift heavy weights? Can such a person lift light weights and still prevent muscle loss?

I also have another question. I've seen a lot of people here saying that they eat way more than 1500 calories per day. How is this possible? My TDEE is 1656 calories. After deducting 15%, that leaves me with 1407. That certainly doesn't sound like "eating more" to me. LOL How are you guys getting such high TDEEs? Are you all really tall or something? After doing some more calculating, it seems that, in order to reach goal, I would have to drop all the way down to about 1300 calories. Again, that doesn't sound like eating more; just sounds like most calorie restricting diets.
Sad
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2013, 12:07 AM
RE: Will I lose LBM if I can't "lift heavy"?
Hey!

Lifting is the best way to maintain mass, but heavy is relative to you, so as heavy as you can lift is fine. You may still experience some muscle loss, but this depends on if you mean light as in 20reps, or 12 reps. Also many bodyweight exercises can help maintain mass (push-ups, etc).

Keeping your protein up, and supplementing with BCAAs will also help happy

As for the TDEE are you including your activity level?

I'm 5'2, and my my TDEE is over 2k.

Most people have a TDEE of 2000 or more unless very short (or older).

Are you sure you aren't looking at your BMR? Perhaps if you share your stats we can help you figure out why yours is so low?

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-18-2013, 12:20 AM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2013 12:21 AM by Glittergnome.)
Hello.

I have a spinal disability and hardware. I am not capable of lifting more than about 10 to 20 lbs. because it is both painful and dangerous for me to do so. What I'm trying to say is that I am NOT able bodied, and I never will be. I cannot do push-ups or any other type of floor work, and by "cannot" I don't just mean that I lack the strength. I mean that, due to the hardware along my spine, it is excruciatingly painful for me to do so. Most workout plans are not designed with people like me in mind, so I feel very confused and alone. I have really bad scoliosis, so I can't be as active as a normal person, but I want to be as healthy as possible and get rid of some extra body fat. I used to weigh 230 lbs, but I lost down to 120, then over the period of a couple of years, I have gained back 20 lbs, so I am now at 140 (give or take a pound).

I am talking about my TDEE, NOT my BMR. I am 5 feet and 3 inches tall, female, 37 years old, and about 140 lbs (as stated above). My activity level is sedentary, due to my disability. In addition to heavy lifting, I also cannot do any hardcore cardio like jumping jacks, jogging or running. These are all very jarring to the hardware in my back. I used this calculator http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/t...lator.html
Find all posts by this user
04-18-2013, 03:10 PM
We have similar stats happy

Well you're an inch taller, so you win. Lol. tongue

I'm 5'2, 140lbs.

So running your #s, with this calculator:
http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I get a cut level of 1400-1600 cals for you, depending on activity level.
(1400 for no activity, 1600 for 1-3hrs of activity per WEEK)

All activity counts. It's all about what you can do. Some of us are more able bodies than others. But it's all about what YOU can do. That's why I say the heaviest that you can lift is fine. It's just about being active. There are many people that don't lift at ALL due to health complications or simply preference. This journey is a personalized one, and it's all about finding *your* numbers, that correspond to *your* activity level, and making it work for your lifestyle. wink

So it's not about what you *can't* do, or comparing yourself to others, but rather being as active as you can, within your capacity, and rocking it out. wink. We're all about individualism, and finding ways to make it work for everyone. If you can lift, lift. If you can't, don't. It's all good.

So lets talk about what you can do, and go from there big grin

Can you walk? If so, where? Stairs? Cardio Machine? Flat/incline?

Can you lunge? Squat (with/without weight)? do step ups? Leg machines (leg extension/press)?

The reason I ask these things is that if there are lower body things that you can do, (your legs are your largest muscles) you will be able to maintain muscle mass, and burn more cals (and be able to eat more).

I definitely don't want you to feel alone. There are ways to work around your condition, without overstepping your personal boundaries. Just share with us here what you *can* do, and we can offer suggestions to help you figure out how to adjust plans for you happy

Hiring a personal trainer that specializes in your condition could help as well.

If you cannot find one in your area, you can feel free to PM me if you'd like to work together and receive monthly plans catered to you.

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Resetting but can't lift due to injury bellie 13 12,482 02-10-2016 10:22 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
Rainbow Bring on the HEAVY stuff! ..Hii! jennywren 3 4,618 05-14-2015 06:22 AM
Last Post: jennywren