Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Confused about starting EM2WL & Bulking/Cutting
04-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Confused about starting EM2WL & Bulking/Cutting
Hi,

I have a couple of questions to get me started, but first a little background so you can give educated answers. happy

I've been reading this forum and your website for days...I'm that girl who has been yo-yoing between this diet and that one and this exercise program and then that one and have been fighting with the same 5 pounds since January 2012. After trying really hard for a couple of months and not seeing results as fast as I wanted them, I'd take a month and just eat without counting calories and end up right where I started before and have to start all over again with something else. (I've been up and down with baby weight and such for the past 15 years and tried every diet pill you can think of with a high of 173 and a low of 130 at 5'3", but I've been trying to get the weight off in a HEALTHY way since Jan. 2012) Every time I start something new I think "this is IT...I've finally figured this out and I'm going to get this weight off!" (I'm 145 and a size 10 and I'd like to be a consistent and tight "who gives a damn what the scale says" size 4/6!) A few days ago I bumped in to this group and got excited and completely terrified at the same time, which I'm sure you've heard 1000+ times before! For the last 3 weeks I have been eating net calories of around 500-900 per day and had no clue that it was a problem since I was eating the recommended 1200-1400 calories and working out 6 days a week...doing both Ripped in 30 and hot yoga. (Before that I was doing Weight Watchers and not working out.)

Based on that background, I can only assume I'm a prime candidate for a full metabolism restart. I'm ready to jump in with both feet and I really do trust this process and am ready to commit to it. I know it will be hard...but thinking about my weight and body image every single day of my adult life has been hard too and if I don't do something differently I'll be worrying about it the rest of my life. I don't want to be like my Grandma, who is 75, and is still at Weight Watchers (and still overweight!). My question is, if I'm ready to just go for it and I have a pretty good idea what my TDEE is, is it okay to just go up there now? Is going from netting 800/day to eating 2100/day (and working out 4-5 times a week) a safe thing to do? And although I've read what I can find on what to expect, I'm hearing some say they lost weight and knew to keep eating more calories until they weren't losing or gaining anymore and then you'd know you hit your maintenance, and I've heard some say it backwards...that they kept eating until they stopped GAINING weight and knew they were at maintenance. ???? I'm also trying to figure out how to get ALL of those calories in without any of them being from unhealthy foods!! happy

I have also purchased the weight lifting book you recommend in your Starter Kit and will be doing that 3x week. I'm wondering if you think continuing on with my hot yoga (3-4x week) would be effective instead of a HIIT workout. I adore my yoga...it makes me feel good and I get my heart rate up and usually burn 450 calories in 60 minutes. If you don't think it could work as my "cardio" portion, would it be too much to still do it and ALSO try to fit a HIIT in there 2x a week?

Last question - I've seen a lot about "bulking/cutting" phases and I'm feeling overwhelmed by all of it! Is this something I should be doing from the beginning to maximize results, or should I start it when it's time to eat at TDEE - 15%, or start it once I'm at "goal" to really help maintain and improve body composition???

Thanks so much in advance for reading my rambling and straightening me out so I can start this with the confidence that I'm doing it "right" (I'm someone who needs you to give me the prescription and tell me exactly what to do. Ha!)

Amber
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2013, 05:57 PM
RE: Confused about starting EM2WL & Bulking/Cutting
Hi & welcome to the fam!

First, I'd say, don't worry about bulking/cutting just yet. It's a more advanced (an optional) tactic, and left out of the starter kit for that purpose. wink as you move through your journey and read more on it, you'll be able to decide if it's for you, and how to fit it in happy

I think that you absolutely should start with a reset, which (if you're lifting) is the same process as a bulk. The reason is that right now, your TDEE level cals would, at first, be considered "extra" to your body and can be used to build some muscle while your body adapts.

Whether you increase cals all at once, or go slowly depends on personal preference, and that's why you see it done both ways. If you increase all at once, you essentially increase to TDEE and stay there until your weight stabilizes, or 8-12 weeks (whichever comes last). If you increase slowly, you inch the cals up, say 50-100 per week, and stay at each level until your weight stabilizes. You continue in that manner until you reach TDEE and continue the same as the other method.

Some prefer to "rip the bandaid" and just get straight to TDEE. Others prefer to try to minimize gain by going slow. It's up to you. wink

With either method, the actual "reset" period starts when you reach TDEE.

If you adore your yoga, don't give it up! wink but be sure to include those weights big grin

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-18-2013, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2013 06:14 PM by ajmccracken11.)
Thanks so much for your reply! So just to clarify...starting slowly to get up to TDEE is how most of the people I'm seeing on here aren't gaining much if at all, but it then takes a lot longer to get to TDEE and the point of finally starting to lose again. And if you rip the bandaid off and just go for it, you're likely to gain more up front and then just have to take it back off again which can take awhile. So essentially, both methods sound like they can end up taking the same amount of time in the long run to get to the point where I'm actually LOSING. I think I'll go the gradual route so I don't have to worry about buying a bigger wardrobe. happy If I'm increasing my calories by 100 per week, am I starting to increase them from what I've been doing at 800 net/1200 gross, or should I start at my BMR of 1400 net and increase by 100 each week from there...each week making sure my NET is 100 more calories daily than the week before?

And is it possible to actually keep losing as I'm increasing slowly? And then I would know I was stabilized when I plateaued again?
04-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Yes, starting slow (from your current eating level) helps minimize gains, but takes a bit longer because your reset doesn't start until you make it to the top. I highly recommend this method. Most people are anxious and want to jump right in, which is fine as well. Some may see a huge scale jump, some don't. The scale always shows some fluctuation when cal levels change, but sometimes its just an "up 3 down 4" type thing and not a true gain. So for those people, it may seem like they "gain" 20lbs during reset, but within a week or so of cut, 10-15 of it falls off during the "deflation" period. This shows that it's was simply water/lactic acid build up, or simply the weight of the food in their bellies, lol.

One thing you'll learn quickly with EM2WL, is that the scale is a "liar" 90% of the time. tongue You'll realize just how finicky it is when it comes to the female body, especially when lifting and muscle is thrown in the mix. Rolleyes

Yes, it's possible to actually be losing as you're increasing, but it should stop/slow as you finally hit TDEE. This is fine, as no weight loss is to be expected at TDEE. If you're still losing, then you're not at TDEE yet wink

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Got it! Starting tomorrow and I guess I'll start at my BMR plus 100 and go from there....thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Starting off zanyzana66 1 2,676 10-08-2016 08:59 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  New to EM2WL kRiBBiTd 0 1,770 09-15-2016 05:32 PM
Last Post: kRiBBiTd
  New to the forum and EM2WL PaulaB 8 9,056 07-13-2016 08:15 PM
Last Post: hannah77
  What's more accurate? Fitbit Charge or EM2WL Calculator? melissaseaside 1 3,037 09-23-2015 08:01 PM
  Confused...and getting bigger Alioop 18 19,761 07-01-2015 07:35 PM
Sad im in my 3rd week and gained 13 pounds starting to freak out MJ587 3 4,970 06-11-2015 06:58 AM
  Lifelong dieter/new to EM2WL ohiotubagal 3 4,877 05-11-2015 06:14 AM
  48, British and confused zyanne 2 3,901 03-13-2015 01:05 AM
  new and starting to freak out jcm999 8 11,745 11-13-2014 04:38 AM
Last Post: mrsukyankee
  Confused, guidance required please vandanfc 7 10,348 11-10-2014 04:58 PM
Last Post: vandanfc