Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Fitbit user and calories burned MUCH less than anticipated!
04-26-2013, 03:57 PM
New Fitbit user and calories burned MUCH less than anticipated!
Okay so I'm panicking a little. I just got a Fitbit Zip and in the first 24 hours I wore it it said I only burned a little over 1600 calories - and that was on a heavy lifting day!!! I only took it off to take a 15 minute shower. Every calculator I've used said my BMR should be around 1421. How in the world would I burn less than 200 more than that when I was up and moving around all day? I understand lifting heavy for 30 minutes doesn't even come close to burning as many calories as if I had been doing cardio but even taking that into consideration, 1600 seems ridiculously low. I'm 5'3" and weigh 145 lbs. I'm a stay at home Mom and pretty much just run errands and get stuff done around the house all day so it's not crazy active, but I'm not just sitting here all day either. This makes me scared to try to eat up to what I thought my TDEE was going to be of about 2200 because I'm working my way up to do a reset in a week or two. Thoughts? Tips? Experience???

Thanks,
Amber
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2013, 03:53 AM
RE: New Fitbit user and calories burned MUCH less than anticipated!
I am new here and just came to look for fitbit users for the opposite reason.

I have a fitbit one which i love and have been using it for about 5 or 6 weeks and earn a lot of steps mininimum 12000 and a few times a week 20000 plus my question is do i eat at TDEE or at the calories my fitbit gives me which is higher.

Often on a 12000 day I have not done any formal exercise just been at work but I am on my feet a lot

Hopefully someone can help us both
04-28-2013, 05:24 PM
I've found the FitBit consistently underestimates calories. I use it to measure my *activity* and motivate me to get more, especially non-exercise activity, then I can plug that into a more reliable calculator.

FitBit is a fantastic tool, just not as a calorie estimator.

(Also do keep in mind that when you check calories at the end of the day, you've got another couple of hours at your resting rate, which can be a couple of hundred additional calories. Look at the calories from previous days instead.)
04-28-2013, 11:55 PM
For me I do eat my fitbit cals and I create a small deficit from it. I do think it is experimenting with what works for you. I use my hrm( yes I know that can be flawed) for weights and spin and on those days I eat at tdee. For Amber that does seem low to me, I'm 5ft 2 150 lbs & 40 and I always get over 2000 cals a day, yesterday was 2500 that was including nrolfw, but the rest of the day had been pretty average. On my exercise days I eat tdee and the others a small deficit. I'm here for body comp as I now my bf is pretty good(25%) for someone my age, it's just to jiggle the wiggle a bit less. I'm happy with weighing more than I look so I can eat more healthy food.

Since you posted has the burn changed? What activity level do you have mfp set to as that makes a difference to the cals you will get. I played around with mine one day and if I was active I still had 70 to go, lightly I was 150 in the hole and sedentary 210 in the hole I think so setting the activity is very important. Even though we are mums at home we are very active in doing day to day stuff.

With the weights it is also the afterburn that the fitbit doesn't take into account so you need to understand that too.

Friend my on mfp if you like.

mfp user GoGoGadgetMumbig grin
04-29-2013, 12:12 AM
Btw I thought I'd add I've been doing em2wl since the mfp group was set up and eating according to my fitbit since January happy

mfp user GoGoGadgetMumbig grin
05-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Fitbit cannot track weight lifting. So right there, your 1600 cal day is likely closer to 2000.. As a SAHM myself, I know that the day is generally on the go all the time. I would make sure your settings on fitbit are correct for your age, weight and height. Then give it a few weeks of wearing to see what your average TDEE is, keeping in mind on weight lifting days, your TDEE is higher than fitbit will tell you. Then take a cut from your average TDEE and go from there..

As an aside, I used a fitbit for months getting decent readings.. It wasnt until I switched to a BMF that I found out my TDEE was actually a few hundred cals higher than fitbit was giving me.. including my weight days..

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
05-25-2013, 11:20 AM
I just got a fitbit and it is giving me readings over my TDEE. My TDEE is like 2900 and I am getting 3450 on most days. I settle in around 3200, I have only had mine for a week but prior to this I was eating around 2900. I was surprised at how active I am. I never sit still though LOL. I also manually enter my lifting days in.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What's more accurate? Fitbit Charge or EM2WL Calculator? melissaseaside 1 3,037 09-23-2015 08:01 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  FitBit Calculations Gone Wonky? LikeAGirl 4 11,085 12-10-2013 11:58 PM
Last Post: LikeAGirl
  Why not look at net calories? DeedyEm 1 4,405 08-28-2013 10:45 PM
Last Post: momofmyfivekids