Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New to forum looking for a little help
04-29-2013, 05:45 AM
New to forum looking for a little help
Quick background history on me and a few questions.

I am 49 and feel like I have been dieting/ overeating because the diet is going to start tomorrow since i was a teenager. Was 13 st 4 at heaviest and 10 st 5 at lightest currently approx 11st (not exact as doing a self imposed scale break for one month)

I have tried most diets out there and until recently could get down to the top of the healthy bmi range with Slimming World usually or occasionly WW but then would just regain and lose the same half stone by pigging out going back to SW pigging out etc etc. Then tried IF which i was great at LOL starving 3 days then pigging out 4 days. Then decided sugar was my enemy and moved to the harcombe diet which was a step too far for me .

Over the last 12 years I have exercised a lot walked or ran 12 marathons and numerous other races so very fit from a cardiovascular point of view but NEVER looked toned.

Have been doing a boot camp 3 times a week for the last month (british military fitness so lots of sit ups, push ups, burpees, squats etc) And already like the way my body is getting stronger and the way my arms and chest are looking.

But what i want more than anything is to change my lifestyle once and for all and go into my 50s looking fit and fabulous.

So now to the numbers and questions

height 5ft 5
weight approx 155
BMR 1398
TDEE 2167 (3-5 hours of moderate exercise )
-15% cut 1842

add in to the mix i wear a fitbit constantly and am very active in day to day life so my average cal burn on the fitbit for the past month is 2404

questions
1) Do i need to do a reset? Except for the dalliance with IF I have not gone low low cal

2) If i do reset do i use my calcluated tdee or my fitbit numbers

3) My current workout schedule is 2 to 3 days BMF for one hour and 2 to 3 days running 30 to 90 mins or long walks, is this ok or do i have to start lifting weights ?

TIA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2013, 11:34 AM
RE: New to forum looking for a little help
Hi welcome to the family!
As far as if you need a reset, A few questions for you, how long ago was it that you were on those low calorie diets? How long were you on them?
I don't have a fitbit, but I have heard it is beneficial I calculating your true TDEE, hopefully Lucia or Kiki can tell which to base it on.
And last I would say yes definitely incorporate weight lifting and decrease some of your cardio!
I'm 48yo, weight lifting is key in building muscle as we get older protecting our bones against fractures etc! Along with making us mature women look hot!lovestruck

Joan
Be yourself. Everyone else is taken! kiss

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/jaeone
04-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Thanks for your reply.

Need to look into workouts some more as love what I do at the moment.
04-30-2013, 03:53 AM
If you've never really done low cal, you won't need to reset. But if you haven't seen maintenance in a while, a decent diet break couldn't hurt

Weight lifting is always recommended for general health purposes, and to get the "toned" look you're after. Bootcamp is great to start, but keep in mind that it's also cardio (just a different form) you'll need a game plan or preventative measure in place for when your body adapts to it. Hence,the weights. wink

I'd go with your fitbit numbers rather than the calculator. Most ladies underestimate activity level when using calculators, your fitbit will probably be a more accurate representation of how active you are. happy

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2013, 01:51 AM
Thank you for your help

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A noob in the forum ti_na_kano 30 30,399 11-10-2016 12:18 PM
Last Post: jaeone
  New to the forum and EM2WL PaulaB 8 9,461 07-13-2016 08:15 PM
Last Post: hannah77
  New to the Forum LadyIce 5 6,523 09-28-2015 08:32 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  New to forum Princess_Sagittarius 1 4,319 10-24-2013 06:56 PM
Last Post: Lucia
  New to forum sjmomma4 1 3,363 06-26-2013 08:36 PM
Last Post: Kiki
Wink Hi new to forum, would you mind checking my stats Penny 4 10,375 06-11-2013 02:35 PM
Last Post: Penny
  new to the forum momofboys 3 5,317 05-26-2013 03:06 PM
Last Post: Kiwimum499
Exclamation New to the forum timvett 1 3,452 10-05-2012 02:51 PM
Last Post: Lucia