Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Raynn's Journey to a Healthier Life
05-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Raynn's Journey to a Healthier Life
My last journey is here if you want to read http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/show...hp?tid=331

My new thread. I figure it was time to update and put things down again. As most know I have spent a long time struggling to find where my TDEE is. I thought 2800 was what it was based on the online calculators.. After getting a fitbit last year, my numbers were coming in around that figure, except for the fact it could not take into account the strength training I was doing. So TDEE was actually higher, even though I didn't want to believe. Over the past month I have been wearing a BMF, a gift from a friend who no longer needed it herself. It has been eye opening to say the least that I have been burning AS LOW AS 2800 and as high as 3800. My Average TDEE for the month is sitting right around 3200. Which means my eating at 2600-2700 was giving me larger than 500 cal deficit.
I am still not 100% convinced of the numbers. It is extremely hard to wrap it around my head that I could be burning over 3000 cals in a day. Yes I workout 5 days a week, but I have a large chunk of time in my day where I am usually sedentary. But I guess if you compare that to an average desk job worker, Id probably be around the same, or higher.

I threw the scale away for a few weeks at the urging of Kiki, after finally getting my hand slapped essentiallyhappy I did feel much more calm and relaxed about things. I was still wondering what the numbers were showing, but I wasn't concerned enough to cheat and hop on the scale. I focused on lifting, trying to eat my 2900 cut and make good choices. Let me tell you, making 3000 cals in healthy choices can be VERY difficult.

At the end of my three weeks, I hit rest week, had a few days off and then took measurements and got on the scale. I was disappointed to say the least to see a three pound scale jump, and 0 inches lost. I know there were some very slight changes happening, as a pair of pants I bought last year, fit slightly better in my thigh. I, surprisingly was not as upset about things as I thought I would be. A few weeks ago I would have been devastated to see the scale jump that much and have no inches lost, so at least that is a step in the right direction. I am not 100% happy with how things are going, but there IS progress happening, it is just way slower than I ever wanted or expected it to.

I always knew I had a pear shaped body, but I didn't understand what that meant. In essence it means my upper body will lose fat long before my lower body will. So if I focus on the fact that my upper half has dropped two sizes in the last year, with no drop in the scale, then I have to be proud of that accomplishment and celebrate it.

So some accomplishments that I have to recognize and celebrate:

I have a resting heart rate of 68bpm. Being labelled obese, carrying approx 60-90 extra pounds on my frame, this is an amazing low heart rate. I can remember at my heaviest years ago being around 90-100bpm

My blood pressure is perfect. I have always had low BP, especially being overweight, so its nice to know this has been constant.

I dropped from a size 1x top to a Large in *most* stores.

I can see shoulder definition, collarbones and a bit of biceps poking out of my fat.

I have two trainers at my gym who stop me while there and point me out to clients as to how success cant be measured on a scale.

I have had random strangers in the gym stop me to tell me how great I look and how they use me for motivation

I can Leg press 215+ on my first week trying

I can squat with 40 pound dumbbells in each hand. (would like to use a barbell, but dont have access to a rack)

I can do 3 sets of 10 decline pushups on a ball

I can run 10k

So while I am still struggling with the lack of lower body progress, I am trying hard to have faith than one day I will wake up and my pants will fall off of me.
Patience is something I have lacked all my life. So it shouldnt surprise me that I have no patience for this eitherhappy

Some pics...on the left Feb 26. On the right May 15. To be honest I dont/cant see any changes in my body between the two. And unfortunately I cant get my older pics off my computer and on my phone so I can do a comparison of those..

[Image: IMG_3084_zps5fe05213.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3083_zpsa509c299.jpg]

[Image: mayback_zps18d08bd4.jpeg]

As of May 15

Weight - 241
Hips - 51
Belly button waist - 41
Natural waist - 35.5
Right Thigh - 30
Left Thigh - 30
Left arm - 15
Right arm - 15
Chest - 42.5
Forearms - 9.5

So we will see what the next few months bring for me..

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2013, 11:55 AM
RE: Raynn's Journey to a Healthier Life
can't wait to see your results. I am new and am on the metabolic reset my 5th day. since I've been a long time binge/ undereater. I actually will start eating the calories on my birthday of all days.
05-16-2013, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2013 02:33 PM by Kiki.)
Here's an older one I had with the newer one, definitely some progress. You're looking much "smoother" in the back:
[Image: 0f58e367-b18b-457e-b154-bd2498042d65_zpsfdbaf6ce.jpg]

And forgive me, but I'm coming through with my infamous red arrows on this one to point out something that might not be so ovbious:
[Image: 4cf7ed7d-82d3-42c1-9df8-8c40224e29be_zps68091b96.jpg]

If you look at the pics, notice that the level of the shoulder positioning is the same in both, yet the glutes are drastically higher in the second pic. Things are shifting, baby...just sayin... I'm a bootay girl tongue, and if there's one thing that we pears have going for us is lots of junk in the trunk. When we can tame that junk to a nice high position (rather than spreading across our backside and around our hips), we are on the right track wink

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Kelly, there is great progress. All that Kiki has pointed out...especially your back and your bum! I know it is super frustrating to work as hard as you do and for things to "appear" to be going as slowly as it is....but I have to tell you, there is progress. I too am a pear shape and LORD KNOWS the bottom is ALWAYS the last to go. We thin out on top and then look at the bottom wondering when oh when will it do it's thing....it does happen, but slowly. The main thing is, you are transforming and you have had some amazing nsv's.

I will tell you, I too had been so inpatient at times and I almost chuckle at myself now wondering if God was just teaching a few lessons through this process. You truly made a huge stride this past weigh in not blowing a gasket over the three pounds....I am so very proud of you for that. You are getting the mindset that you need for the next leg of your journey. I think you should put that scale right back where you had it stored....why stress....you progressing. I tell you, I think no scale=no stress=continued fat loss and tons less cortisol release....lol.

WTG Kelly!

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
05-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Who knew.. I have an ass!happy
Lol!

Yes, I do plan on putting the scale away again for another couple of weeks. TOM is due in the next week, so theres no point in going near it for a while.

Thanks guys. happy

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
05-16-2013, 06:11 PM
I definitely notice the changes that Kiki pointed out. You are so amazingly consistent and that's no small list of NSVs you've got there!

Keep going Kelly - you are an inspiration!

Crystal
05-23-2013, 06:48 PM
So I am a week into my new program. This time around I am doing Cathe's Slow and Heavy series and will follow that for 4-5 weeks. I just completed all three workouts and wow.... Slow is HARD!!! I had to drop my weights for almost everything by A LOT... Like enough that I felt like i was a beginner again, it was Sad!! Lol. But I know that without the momentum pushing the weights up or down, the weights must drop in order to do it right. Amazing how much my Shoulders can hurt with piddly 5s in my hand!happy

TOM is starting to make an exit, and I know it is pointless to even look at the scale over the next week or so, so Im not going to bother. I will try and hold off until my program round is done and I am ready for measurements again.

I am struggling to hit my 2900 cals.. I was able to hit 2700 without too much trouble, but somehow that extra 200 cals is making it very hard for me to hit, and not hit with a carb overload. Somedays I feel like I am stuffing my face beyond belief and fear a massive weight gain happening. I know this isnt really happening, but its a niggle in my head anyways. Another reason I would really like the scale weight to drop... then my cals can drop!happy

I am plugging along as best I can right now. Concentrating on making it through as stress free as I can..

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
05-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Yep. Slow and heavy is so killer. It makes the best of us feel like a weakling lol. Amazing how much heavier that weight feels when momentum is taken out of the movement!

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-25-2013, 11:27 AM
I see progress!! You are doing great. Patience is so hard in all of this and I am saying this only 4 weeks or so in. You have been at this much longer. Keep up the good work.
05-28-2013, 10:37 PM
^^^ Ditto to all of those above. There is definitely progress! OWN it!!!

Slow and Heavy Cathe???!! Sounds like JUST my kinda thing...I might have to look into that. I'm kinda "in between" programs right now. Right now it's a toss up between 5x5, NROLFW, ...or maybe this. ha!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fueling Life Jules 55 1,540 Today 01:56 AM
Last Post: West
  Joy In The Journey Sunshine44 45 1,490 Yesterday 08:13 PM
Last Post: FionaSchipke
  Improving my quality of life... zanyzana66 86 8,199 04-07-2017 08:21 AM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
  The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step -- Lao Tzu hannah77 279 26,036 03-23-2017 10:46 AM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
  A well nourished journey jsue6 16 1,755 03-14-2017 02:59 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  kathy's journey kathy 8 1,325 08-26-2016 09:24 PM
Last Post: KatiAuchinleck
  Liane's new journey forward mrsukyankee 489 170,333 06-21-2016 08:38 AM
Wink The Start of My New Journey Candi 141 15,099 05-23-2016 06:55 AM
Last Post: Candi
  Rebekah's EM2WL Journey Rebekah 15 2,574 04-06-2016 08:31 AM
Last Post: emma
Information LIFE... is my style! Let's do this!!! Saggy76 47 4,938 03-29-2016 10:16 AM