Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
TDEE Calc - Why so many differences?
07-11-2012, 01:01 PM
TDEE Calc - Why so many differences?
Aloha!

Big time newbie here. I hope this question isn't too stupid. I calculated my TDEE with the scooby calculator online and got 2150. I am 5'8", 41 years old, 230lbs and sedentary. I calculated it with the NROL4W and got 1854. This is a huge difference! Should I go with the lower number? MFP puts my TDEE at 2200. Why is there such a difference between the two?

They call me AmyB Heart Learning to love myself like I love my friends and family.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2012, 01:12 PM
RE: TDEE Calc - Why so many differences?
I had the same exact issue when I first started EM2WL. The Scooby site said my TDEE was somewhere around 2400 and other calculators were saying it was more like 2100. So I basically did an average of the various calculations and came up with a number I felt good about.

But even with eating the average between all the calculations, I found I was still losing and gaining the same 2 pounds. So I invested in a BMF and turns out my TDEE was more like 2700-2800!!!

So....if MFP is putting you at 2200 and Scooby is putting you at 2150, I'd probably go with the Scooby number in the end. Stick with it and see what results you get.

Helene big grin
07-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks! I'm going to start my metabolism reset and shoot for 2050-2150 a day. Scary to think about eating all that, but I'm gonna do it! happy

They call me AmyB Heart Learning to love myself like I love my friends and family.
07-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Curious to why you are putting sedentary... Are you really? Do you do a desk job for work and do no exercise? Are you unable to exercise?

Most people underestimate their activity level, so I would really take a good look at it and see if you are in fact sedentary or if you are light or moderate.. What do you do for activity or exercise?

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
07-12-2012, 02:38 PM
I am seriously sedentary. I have a desk job in my house. My commute is about 30 seconds. I am in Physical Therapy right now for a knee injury, but that's just stretching mostly. I may take a 15 -30 min walk a few times a week, until the knee pain kicks in. It sucks so bad. happy

07-13-2012, 04:33 PM
I didn't want to over think things so I just stuck with the scooby calculations.
09-04-2012, 11:57 AM
So, if fat2fit radio's calculator [http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/] tells me one figure for TDEE and my fitbit tells me another, should I just go with the fitbit?

My stats:
36 yo femal
5'6"
CW: 237 lbs
GW: 150 lbs

Weight training: 3 days/week @ 40 mins each
Cardio: 5 days/week @ 30 mins each
Yoga (just started this, so not sure yet): 3 days/week @ 20 mins each

I've only had my fitbit for about 3 weeks and have not done the stride calibration thing, but anyway, my average burn per fitbit is 2500/day, which puts me at "lightly active" per fat2fit radio's calculator, but my activity would put me at about 2800/day TDEE for "moderately active". Right now I'm doing a reset @ 2500/day, but should I try to go up to 2800/day?