Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Reset Fail
07-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Reset Fail
I just completed an attempt at a 6 week reset. Most calculators set my TDEE at 2500, yet I only managed to average 2100 on reset. I focused on eating when I was hungry, but not eating to the point of misery. In spite of eating at basically a 20% cut, I gained 4# and my clothes are getting snug. Thankfully, I stayed off the scale for the entire 6 weeks or I would have abandoned ship for sure!

Not sure where to go from here. Yesterday I decided to trust MFP again and eat in accordance with their 1500 kcal/day recommendation. I was starving all feaking day! Angry

Suggestions appreciated, though I doubt I can mentally handle gaining any more weight. I'm back where I started a year ago.

Stats:
Female
51 years old
5' 6"
CW 170
GW 148
BF 30%
Avg Burn 500 kcal/day - 6x/week (cardio and weight lifting)
BMR 1613 (via oxygen test - it's higher than normal)
Macros 40/30/30 and I almost always get protein to 1# per # lean body mass)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2012, 02:10 PM
RE: Reset Fail
Well seems your metabolism has set to your cut value.

The only way around that is to do a full reset. I know it is hard in the beginning to eat when you are not hungry, but it soon will turn, and you wonder how you could ever eat so little.

I am doing reset right now, and I know how you feel. I have gained 7lbs during reset and 3lbs eating at my cut a few weeks before resetting. But I am not giving in.

Keep up the lifting and if any reduce cardio a bit. Seems you still have too big of a deficit with burning 500 a day. Up your cals and see where it is taking you.

And stay strong-we are here to help out
07-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Sadly, is appears my metabolism has set itself at substantially less than my cut value if I gained 4# in 6 weeks. That does, however, give me somewhere to start. I at least know how may calories and can't eat and maintain/lose.
08-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Regina, the body is an amazing thing....it will adjust to what we do to best preserve itself. You gained 4#s in 6wks at cut, I think that is a sign that your body needs a good full blown 8wk reset where you shift your calorie intake to TDEE for that full time period. You would have to find ways to get in those calories (which can be accomplished with some high calorie dense foods such as nuts, avocado, full fat dairy, protein shakes, etc). Set your macros to 40/30/30 and after the 8 wks, then do a small cut of 10% for 4 wks, then TDEE for a week then 10% again, etc.

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
08-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Thank to the advice here and at MFP, I extended my reset by a couple of weeks. I've been eating at cut (again) for 3 weeks now and have literally bounced up/down the same pounds with possibly a net 1-1.5# loss. Wondering if I should stay where I am (2100 cal/day) or possible drop a bit. I know at 2300 I gain.

On the upside, my clothes still fit exactly the same as before the gain and I feel amazing!happy
08-20-2012, 10:04 PM
I would say hold for four weeks then you can do TDEE one week. Then cut three hundred cals from TDEE for four weeks then one week break then cut two hundred again. Keep the body guessing. Don't go lower than three hundred calorie or 15%cut though.

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
09-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Somehow I lost this thread and just found your reply. This forum confuses me. Confused

Thanks so much for the suggested plan. I'm marking my calendar today and starting your plan. HeartHeart

I'm still hoping...............
09-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Regina - you should be able to click on "user cp" at the top, and have access to every thread that you either started or participated in. wink

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user