Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-30-2013, 05:21 PM
I need to spend some time looking through this forum. I could not believe there are a group of people talking about this. I have always had a weight problem but the last year or so have not been able to lose no matter what I did.

With a science background I began to wonder if I was not eating enough. My usual day was less than 1,200 calories but often less than 1,000. I am 44 years old, male and weigh 270. For the last several years I have been able to lose weight pushing the calorie intake down to 800.

Went to see a trainer/dietitian to get my basal metabolic rate tested. Came back at 2880 with no expenditure of calories. I cannot remember the last time I ate more than 2,000 calories on a regular basis. I am not in terrible shape, can easily jog 2 miles and do so 2-3 times per week.

The dietitian was astonished at my calorie intake. I am VERY good at counting calories and log everything I eat. I started this week with an increase to 1500 calories and have to work at eating that much.

This is definitely a big change for me but maybe my metabolism will reset after eating so few calories for so long.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2013, 08:06 AM
RE: Newbie
WOW!

Welcome! I'm so happy that you stumbled upon us. Even happier that you were already doing the research yourself to discover the truth. I must admit that it does blow me away at times that we can get accustomed to eating so much less than we need.

It's tough getting the cals in at first, but there are a few ways to help retrain your ghrelin/leptin response so that you actually feel hungry enough to get them in. I've written a few tips on it on the site: http://eatmore2weighless.com/increasing-...-pointers/

Be sure to keep us posted on your progress! Sometimes it's harder getting the men to talk about this, which leaves other men wondering if they're the only ones dealing with it. Sharing your experience will be very helpful to the other guys lurking in what they may feel is a female issue wink

I think you'll find yourself pleasantly surprised at the response your body will give when fueled properly big grin

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply