Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New to Group - Intro
06-03-2013, 10:10 PM
New to Group - Intro
Hi!

I joined MFP after having my BMR measured at the corporate gym where I used to work - this involved breathing into a device until the computer said it had enough info. The BMR they came up with was 1329, the scoobyworkshop value I got was 1409, I assume the measured one is more accurate? The trainer who measured me suggested I join MFP and eat 1289 calories a day and by this time, I'd be 15 pounds lighter. Not so much.

When I stumbled over the EM2WL concept, it made sense to me. I really think I screwed up my metabolism as a teenager, following things like an all-fruit diet that was maybe 600 calories a day. When I went to college I decided I was just going to eat regular food, but not a lot of it and I have maintained my weight within roughly 10 pounds since I was in high school, actually my high point in weight (until recently) was when I was about 16. All this time I knew I could not eat as much as other people without gaining weight, but I accepted that. Then a few years ago I had a really stressful job, decided to let the weight go while I got through getting out of that situation and I just couldn't get those pounds off. So with MFP, I was able to lose 7 pounds but hit a plateau 2 months ago, but no matter how little I eat, no more is coming off.

So, I figured I'd give this a try - never mind the fear of eating so much, it seems about impossible to eat that much after 40 years of eating half that amount. I am treating myself to some of my favorite foods that I rarely make, but still it seems like a huge effort to find enough of them, and they don't fit the protein profile!

I'm 56, 5 ft 8, currently weigh 163 (gained 2 pounds since starting the EM2WL, but those last 2 were only gone rarely during the plateau) I walk one of my dogs a mile a day and usually go to the gym a couple times a week, doing both weight machines and cardio and vary the mix of which I do more of - I an involved in a lot of other activities and their schedule takes precedence over the gym at times, I'm afraid. My TDEE from scoobyworkshop is 2184, but I'm wondering if it shouldn't be a bit lower given my BMR measured lower than their BMR.

I'm forcing myself to eat as much as I can, but sometimes it seems as silly as eating rice cakes or fat free rye krisps. I'm particularly clueless about the protein targets, it seems like I need to eat huge hunks of meat to get there and there aren't many that I find that appealing. Any words of wisdom about the best way to approach this would be welcome!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2013, 10:28 AM
RE: New to Group - Intro
Hey! So happy you stumbled upon us big grin

I'd stay with the measured RMR, as the online calcs will always have an error margin. They are just best estimates to get us pointed in the right direction wink

One of the best ways to get cals in is to allow yourself to eat real food. Often when we are dieting, we get used to eating "versions" of food that are lower in cals (sugar free, fat free, gluten free, taste free, lol).

Unless you have a health issue that requires you to omit entire food groups, its best to enjoy them all, in moderation. Fat free items will often have too much sugar (causing insulin overload), sugar free items will often be pumped with chemically induced sweeteners, processed gluten free foods are completely devoid of fiber and often cause bloating and weight gain.

Fat is your friend, especially when trying to increase cals initially. Fat has more than twice the cals of carbs or protein (which is why it's removed when people are trying to go low cal), so you are able to eat the same amounts of food as normal, yet reach a higher cal intake.

Good fats are essential for hair, skin, nails, brain function, joint lubrication, and anti-inflammatory purposes. Don't shun it wink

Some good fats would be in fish (salmon, cod), nuts and nut butters (Peanut/almond), seeds (sunflower, flax, chia), avocado, olive oils, etc., coconut oil or smoothie flavored fish oil (great in smoothies for taste and texture!)

Bananas are a carb that are higher in cals. Toss them in a smoothie or protein shake w/some PB and you've got a nice, healthy, high cal snack/meal right there.

Protein is not only in meats, but also dairy, spinach, beans, nuts, seeds (<--notice a pattern there? lol)

You may not need slabs of meat, just include a bit of protein at each meal and watch it add up. Most people don't have problems with hitting protein at dinner, it's just that they fall behind the rest of the day wink

Breakfast protein options: eggs, bacon, sausage, milk, pb toast, greek yogurt, high protein cereal (like Kashi Go Lean Crunch or Kellogg's Special K Protein Plus, etc) or oatmeal w/milk

Lunch: wrap/pita or sandwich w/meat, grilled chicken (or taco) salad, chili (topped w/cheese and plain greek yogurt for a protein extravaganza!), tuna, burger (turkey, bison, veggie, etc)

Snacks: greek yogurt, apple and PB, celery and PB, protein bar, protein shake, latte w/low-fat milk, trail mix, cheese wedges, hot chocolate (made with milk), cheese and crackers

These are just a few examples, but if you get used to working these types of meals into your day, it becomes easier than you think to hit your goals. And you won't fall into that rut of "It's 8pm and I have 700 cals and 90g of protein left to eat!" surprised

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks!

I really have not gone down the path of "diet food" so no problem eating real food or fats and most of your suggestions sound good. I have had that OMG I need 500 calories NOW! moment a couple times. I think my worst "diet" habit is rarely eating dinner, which is pretty easy for me as I'm a morning person, so I'm just not in the habit of eating meat or much of anything at night and have trouble sleeping if I'm too full. Breakfast I can eat a lot of, so I've been trying to add there. I'm going to carve out time to make French toast soon. I've been taking much bigger lunches to work and trying to remember to grab things out of it to eat during the day, although when we get busy it's easier to forget to eat because I'm not hungry. Before I started eating more, there was no way I could concentrate when lunchtime was near!

Have been making smoothies at night, with banana and I got some protein powder to add, hadn't thought about adding coconut oil or peanut butter - I would think they'd add a nice touch.

I seem to be way less tired in the afternoon now and have less of a reaction to eating sweets. As long as I can remember I've had a strong reaction to those foods - never a sugar high, but like "sugar coma" right after having a nice dessert or big cookie.

Thanks for info and suggestions!

Cleo
06-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Keep us posted on how it goes! We love updates big grin

We're always here for feedback and/or troubleshooting wink

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

06-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Does anyone else find it annoying to have to count calories when you have to eat so many? Have in retrospect discovered I went over my TDEE a couple times when I thought it was "impossible" to eat that much!

I have gained a couple pounds, but not as much as I feared so far, it's getting easier to eat more. I got some soy protein powder that I've been putting in hot cereal and it's really not noticeable at all there (I love hot oatmeal and whole grain cereal, the kinds you need to cook for 5 minutes or more) so that's making it easier to get protein in at breakfast.

Still in the early phases, so not much more to report.

Cleo
06-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Even though I've gained a couple pounds, I notice my scale is showing my % body fat is dropping. I've heard the scale body fat numbers are not terribly reliable (I have a fitbit aria), but I assume they should at least be consistent with how they are calculating it. So I assume this is real progress in the right direction?
06-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Hey Cleo,

Yep, that's a great sign! Very common, too. wink

That's why it's a great idea to keep track using multiple methods, because the scale may fluctuate for other reasons (like your workout or higher carb/sodium days, etc), but gathering all of your info (measurements, how clothes fit, pics, scale, bf%) helps you to see the bigger picture.

You're right that even though the scales bf% # may not be accurate as far as the actual # it shows, I find that it's still helpful to keep track of whether it's moving up or down, etc. As long as you're weighing under similar conditions each time, the number can at least let you know if you're on the right track or help you to troubleshoot when the weight is stagnant.

My own scale, which is almost consistently 10% less than my calipers tongue , still gets used simply because it's easier than pulling out my calipers all the time, lol.

If I need to know the true #, I'll go to the calipers, but if I just wanna know if I'm still progressing, I'll just track via the scale...If that makes any sense?

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

06-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Now I've gained 4 pounds and my body fat is starting to rise, and I'm getting a little freaked out - I do know I'm going over TDEE some days, I'm just not used to eating more so that I don't realize HOW much more it is some times until I start tallying it up. Just got back from a weekend away where I didn't keep track and ate like "the other people" where in the past I have made sure I'm eating less than my friends. It just seemed like too much work to be looking up all kinds of foods (including potluck dishes) I rarely eat to put them in the MFP counter, but I'm back to tracking today and completely shocked by what the scale said this morning! Any tips on adjusting to the "new normal" would be appreciated.

Also, the more I try to follow it, that 40% protein recommendation in the starter kit still seems insanely high. I really don't enjoy any protein enough to make it such a huge part of my diet, and even in my restricted calorie lifestyle I made a point of focusing on eating things I liked, just not very much of them, or saving the best stuff for special rewards.
06-24-2013, 09:36 PM
(06-24-2013 09:15 PM)cleoparker Wrote:  Now I've gained 4 pounds and my body fat is starting to rise, and I'm getting a little freaked out - I do know I'm going over TDEE some days, I'm just not used to eating more so that I don't realize HOW much more it is some times until I start tallying it up. Just got back from a weekend away where I didn't keep track and ate like "the other people" where in the past I have made sure I'm eating less than my friends. It just seemed like too much work to be looking up all kinds of foods (including potluck dishes) I rarely eat to put them in the MFP counter, but I'm back to tracking today and completely shocked by what the scale said this morning! Any tips on adjusting to the "new normal" would be appreciated.

Also, the more I try to follow it, that 40% protein recommendation in the starter kit still seems insanely high. I really don't enjoy any protein enough to make it such a huge part of my diet, and even in my restricted calorie lifestyle I made a point of focusing on eating things I liked, just not very much of them, or saving the best stuff for special rewards.
Hi Cleo and welcome! you should try planning and logging your meals in the morning or the day before, especially Monday -Friday! I know weekends can be difficult, but if you log say breakfast and lunch at least you have an idea of where you are at if you happen to go out to eat! At the beginning tracking is so important, it is definitely an eye opener!!
As far as protein there's chicken, fish, nuts, peanut butter, beef, turkey, Greek yogurt, eggs, just to name a few! Google foods with protein for more choices!
I would suggest You put the scale away for awhile until you adjust!! Hang in there!!

Joan
Be yourself. Everyone else is taken! kiss

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/jaeone
06-25-2013, 07:54 AM
Hey Cleo,

I also wanted to make sure you know, that the starter kit recommends 40% carbs, not protein. So that could be why you feel that you're struggling. Having such a high protein intake isn't really necessary unless under doctors orders (diabetic, celiac, etc).

So no need to kill yourself shooting for 40%. If you can hit .8-1g per lb of bodyweight, though, that really is ideal. Hitting the protein macro really assists in giving your metabolism the boost it needs during the beginning stages.

Another tip: NEVER weigh in on the Monday after a weekend of letting your hair down, lol. It will almost always shock you. I let loose a little on the weekends and don't track either, so I usually expect that Monday weigh to be a little outrageous. Same with most people in the fam that have more liberal weekends, it's completely normal. It's usually not due to eating too much (although it could be) but more so to the fact that we are likely eating a bit more carbs than usual, possibly throwing back some cold ones, and maybe even including more processed/high sodium foods. These all will attribute to bloating that will make the scale seem like it's lost it's mind, lol...Plus, food carries weight, and usually our weekends of fun may leave us with less fiber than our diet than usual, which means that not all of the food has "left" yet, if you know what I mean tongue

I wouldn't fret too much. wait until you've had a few days of regular eating, regular water intake, and being..."regular" LOL...then I'm sure you'll find that you're body seems to "magically" go back to normal.

The scale is a finicky beast like that, and if we pick the wrong time to step on it...it tends to bite us wink

Keep your head up, you're doing great!

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ebby's Intro! ebbycou 2 3,186 12-16-2015 02:28 PM
Last Post: ebbycou
  New Intro-LQQking 4 support jlhill7 5 7,384 04-28-2014 08:27 PM
Last Post: jlhill7
  Intro Dipitie 4 5,880 08-01-2013 06:45 PM
Last Post: Dipitie
Wink New to the group and this method readytolose78 7 11,430 07-05-2013 09:16 PM
Last Post: readytolose78
  New to the Group and a Bit Scared ladyraistlin18 2 6,029 06-02-2013 12:15 AM
Last Post: ladyraistlin18
  Why I'm here (the reader friendly intro amazegirl 5 7,369 05-16-2013 06:09 PM
Last Post: Katie Girl