Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
3 day binge :(
07-07-2013, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 06:15 PM by readytolose78.)
3 day binge :(
So I am not happy with myself as every since 4th July I have been binging. I ate 900 over my tdee-20% on July 4th, July 5th I did good and then around 8 pm I had a double dip hot fudge sundae, Yesterday-I had a burger and fries for dinner so I am wayyyyyy over when it comes to the allowed calories. I immediately wanted to go back to my original 1300 cal that I was at before starting the tdee-20% method last sun until another friend told me that I wld only be doing more damage and advised me to atleast eat up to my BMR for the rest of the week. I felt with me going back to 1300 the rest of the week, it may even out and I cld possibly loose when I weigh this upcoming Fri but I have to remember that I promised my body as of last Sun that I will never eat below my BMR again-I am not up to the 1779 cal (tdee amount-20%) today but I am a little over my BMR so that will have to do for a few days. This is all so stressful-In my opinion. not talking

-Lora
"Strive for progress not perfection"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2013, 08:49 PM
RE: 3 day binge :(
Don't be disappointed in yourself. Coming from undereating, a period of desired OVEReating is completely normal, hun. This article explains that a bit:
http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-starvation-experiment/

Increasing cals usually comes with phases that we all go through, as listed in the Starter Kit:

* No hunger or desire to eat the full amount of calories.
* Begin to increase calories but feel extremely full, bloated, gorged after each meal (tip: take
digestive supplements with each meal).
* Sudden, ravaging hunger, possibly able to eat far above TDEE, if given the opportunity.
* Heightened energy levels, noticing increased intensity in workouts, no problems hitting calorie
goals.
* Sudden decrease in energy, extreme fatigue, possibly lasting 1-3 weeks.
* A returned energy level, normal hunger levels, looking forward to workouts and meals - body
has stabilized!

Your body NEEDS food, and you are finally giving it. It sounds like you were eating closer to TDEE which is completely fine. TDEE is what our bodies NEED for our activity level. You may want to go ahead and finish out the week eating AT TDEE, and consider it a diet break (especially, if you've not taken one recently, as they are *necessary*). Then resume cutting (at TDEE-15%) next week (or the week after, if you feel you need it)...GUILT FREE.

We firmly believe in GIVING your body what it is asking for. And right now it wants food. If you restrict now, it may only lead to more binging later. Diet breaks are recommended every 4-10 weeks for this exact purpose. Our bodies need the break. They will not affect your ultimate bottom line, so don't even blink an eye at taking a break happy

Don't allow yourself to feel bad or restrict further. Just try to use the opportunities to make wise choices as often as possible, and allow the "bad" choices to roll right off your back and jump back in line at the next meal. Don't develop the "oh well, I already messed up today" mentality wink

Binging is usually your body trying to tell you something...take the time to listen to your body and find out exactly what that something is..

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Ty sooo much, Great info!!
(07-07-2013 08:49 PM)Kiki Wrote:  Don't be disappointed in yourself. Coming from undereating, a period of desired OVEReating is completely normal, hun. This article explains that a bit:
http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-starvation-experiment/

Increasing cals usually comes with phases that we all go through, as listed in the Starter Kit:

* No hunger or desire to eat the full amount of calories.
* Begin to increase calories but feel extremely full, bloated, gorged after each meal (tip: take
digestive supplements with each meal).
* Sudden, ravaging hunger, possibly able to eat far above TDEE, if given the opportunity.
* Heightened energy levels, noticing increased intensity in workouts, no problems hitting calorie
goals.
* Sudden decrease in energy, extreme fatigue, possibly lasting 1-3 weeks.
* A returned energy level, normal hunger levels, looking forward to workouts and meals - body
has stabilized!

Your body NEEDS food, and you are finally giving it. It sounds like you were eating closer to TDEE which is completely fine. TDEE is what our bodies NEED for our activity level. You may want to go ahead and finish out the week eating AT TDEE, and consider it a diet break (especially, if you've not taken one recently, as they are *necessary*). Then resume cutting (at TDEE-15%) next week (or the week after, if you feel you need it)...GUILT FREE.

We firmly believe in GIVING your body what it is asking for. And right now it wants food. If you restrict now, it may only lead to more binging later. Diet breaks are recommended every 4-10 weeks for this exact purpose. Our bodies need the break. They will not affect your ultimate bottom line, so don't even blink an eye at taking a break happy

Don't allow yourself to feel bad or restrict further. Just try to use the opportunities to make wise choices as often as possible, and allow the "bad" choices to roll right off your back and jump back in line at the next meal. Don't develop the "oh well, I already messed up today" mentality wink

Binging is usually your body trying to tell you something...take the time to listen to your body and find out exactly what that something is..

-Lora
07-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Lora, I noticed that below your signature it says to "Strive for progress not perfection". That is a great attitude to have. You are not going to eat perfect everyday but everyday you will make progress. Progress is not just measured by the scale or the kind of foods we eat. Progress is most importantly made in our mind and attitude. When I learned to give up the feelings of guilt and shame over my body and overeating, I made tremendous progress. Being able to live life and enjoy yourself is very important to developing a life long habit of health. It is not unhealthy to overindulge. We have special occasions, holidays, family get togethers etc... Of course overindulging every day is not healthy. I have learned that for me days of eating what I want when I want it, is important for me mentally. Last week I went on vacation and ate like crazy all week. It is a once a year event for my family where we camp and eat hot dogs, s'mores, hamburgers etc...I go into the week knowing that I'm going to eat food I don't normally eat. But, it is a tradition for my family and I participate fully. No guilt and no regrets. I weighed myself yesterday and I gained 8lbs. I know that at least half of that is water. By this morning I had lost over 2lbs. I'm not severely restricting to make up for overeating. I'm just back to normal eating and exercise. Learning to eat in way that is sustainable for life is progress. I have learned to include all those special events into my life.

I love that my kids see me eating in a balanced way. They see me eating chocolate and ice cream and other yummy things and at the same time they see me eating fruits and veggies, proteins and healthy fats. I want them to learn balanced eating. They also see me working out and enjoying moving my body. They see mommy getting strong and doing things she couldn't do before.

You can do this, Lora. It is really hard in the beginning to trust the process, but you can. Don't be in a hurry, be patient and forgiving of yourself. Food is not your enemy. It is wonderful and life-giving fuel. Learn to nourish and feed yourself and exercise because you love yourself. Don't use food restriction or exercise to punish yourself. Maybe you made some not so healthy choices the last few days, but so what? Doesn't make you a failure or a bad person, it makes you human. You are worth loving, so love yourself. I doubt you would take away food from a loved one because they ate a sundae the day before. Today is a new day. Another chance to love and nourish yourself. Say thank you for that opportunity and move on.

Didn't mean to write a book, sorry. Your post just touched me because I have been where you are. Know that I am rooting for you.

Be blessed,

Cindy
07-12-2013, 10:22 AM
I just saw your reply to my post and OMG thanks so much! It really touched me! It was like you know EXACTLY how I felt and still feel. I just posted another post this morning because I think the binge alont with me upping my calories is causing me to be up 2.5 lbs this week and I was sooo happy that I had just lost 2.5 lbs Sad

(07-08-2013 04:08 PM)mamasmaltz3 Wrote:  Lora, I noticed that below your signature it says to "Strive for progress not perfection". That is a great attitude to have. You are not going to eat perfect everyday but everyday you will make progress. Progress is not just measured by the scale or the kind of foods we eat. Progress is most importantly made in our mind and attitude. When I learned to give up the feelings of guilt and shame over my body and overeating, I made tremendous progress. Being able to live life and enjoy yourself is very important to developing a life long habit of health. It is not unhealthy to overindulge. We have special occasions, holidays, family get togethers etc... Of course overindulging every day is not healthy. I have learned that for me days of eating what I want when I want it, is important for me mentally. Last week I went on vacation and ate like crazy all week. It is a once a year event for my family where we camp and eat hot dogs, s'mores, hamburgers etc...I go into the week knowing that I'm going to eat food I don't normally eat. But, it is a tradition for my family and I participate fully. No guilt and no regrets. I weighed myself yesterday and I gained 8lbs. I know that at least half of that is water. By this morning I had lost over 2lbs. I'm not severely restricting to make up for overeating. I'm just back to normal eating and exercise. Learning to eat in way that is sustainable for life is progress. I have learned to include all those special events into my life.

I love that my kids see me eating in a balanced way. They see me eating chocolate and ice cream and other yummy things and at the same time they see me eating fruits and veggies, proteins and healthy fats. I want them to learn balanced eating. They also see me working out and enjoying moving my body. They see mommy getting strong and doing things she couldn't do before.

You can do this, Lora. It is really hard in the beginning to trust the process, but you can. Don't be in a hurry, be patient and forgiving of yourself. Food is not your enemy. It is wonderful and life-giving fuel. Learn to nourish and feed yourself and exercise because you love yourself. Don't use food restriction or exercise to punish yourself. Maybe you made some not so healthy choices the last few days, but so what? Doesn't make you a failure or a bad person, it makes you human. You are worth loving, so love yourself. I doubt you would take away food from a loved one because they ate a sundae the day before. Today is a new day. Another chance to love and nourish yourself. Say thank you for that opportunity and move on.

Didn't mean to write a book, sorry. Your post just touched me because I have been where you are. Know that I am rooting for you.

Be blessed,

Cindy

-Lora
07-12-2013, 12:33 PM
The binge is part of the process, don't get down. Cindy's post is so on point. We all had to make it through that phase, as unpleasant as it was.

It's scary because we think that we will continue to be out of control, when it's really just our bodies trying to get all it can before we start restricting again.

Allow your body to learn to trust you, allow life to happen. Take each meal as it comes, and don't think that you have to "make up" for anything by eating less later or over exercising. Each meal is new, this journey is all about developing a healthier relationship with food, and that will only come with time.

If you aren't friends with Cindy on MFP, I'd highly suggest it. Also Becca (mommamuscles) is a great MFP resource in this, as she has overcome these same issues wink

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Awesome-Ty so much! I needed to hear all this happy

(07-12-2013 12:33 PM)Kiki Wrote:  The binge is part of the process, don't get down. Cindy's post is so on point. We all had to make it through that phase, as unpleasant as it was.

It's scary because we think that we will continue to be out of control, when it's really just our bodies trying to get all it can before we start restricting again.

Allow your body to learn to trust you, allow life to happen. Take each meal as it comes, and don't think that you have to "make up" for anything by eating less later or over exercising. Each meal is new, this journey is all about developing a healthier relationship with food, and that will only come with time.

If you aren't friends with Cindy on MFP, I'd highly suggest it. Also Becca (mommamuscles) is a great MFP resource in this, as she has overcome these same issues wink

-Lora
07-17-2013, 12:02 AM
I'm glad I could be an encouragement. We all need that from time to time.
12-15-2013, 05:21 PM
I'm so glad I came across this old post...I am totally in the 'inhale anything not bolted down' hunger phase of my reset, and was starting to feel panic-y. This reassures me.