Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
new and questions please
07-30-2013, 10:42 AM
new and questions please
Hi.
I’m so glad I’ve found this group. After 13 years of low calories diets, an ED and generally being miserable when it comes to my body and food I have finally realised life’s too short and its time to get fitter and stronger not necessarily weigh a lot less. I would just like to check my activity level if possible please.
On a ‘normal’ week I am doing high intensity training twice a week (45-60 mins of squats, lunges, running, going up stairs, kettlebell swings etc in a circuit style) and then I try to fit in either a swim or spinning class at the weekend. I am also walking not powerwalking on average 40 mins twice a week. I have a desk job so don’t move much in those 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. So, would I be lightly or moderate. There are weeks when to be honest I don’t fit a weekend class/swim in but more often than not I do so that would make 2 hours really hard work where i feel sick and I’m bright red and then 1 hour where I work hard but I can breathe afterwards lol. At what point does it change from light to moderate?
Thank you so much in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2013, 06:07 PM
RE: new and questions please
I'd go with moderate wink

Most of us are a bit more active than we actually think. Plus this way of life, remember we are trying to get by with being able to lose fat while eating as MUCH as possible. As we lose weight, age, and generally move less in life, our TDEE will naturally decrease, so no need to do so unnecessarily or prematurely.

Besides, it's easier to start off with MORE than enough and scale down as needed, than to start off with too little and allow our metabolisms to adjust to the lower level.

Remember the key to eating more: Our metabolisms adjust to the demand. The less we eat, the slower the metabolism. The only way to increase metabolism is to eat more big grin

So if we short change our cals, we short change our metabolism.

On another note, are you able to fit in any days of slightly heavier lifting into your schedule? Just one or two days of that in place of a circuit/cardio day will more than make up a moderate activity level (due to the crazy afterburn of heavy lifting) and will transform your body you.wouldn't.believe surprised

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2013, 04:05 AM
Hi Kiki!
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I’m glad you said moderate as I am loving eating more. I have to admit I am struggling with the option of counting calories or just eating what I want(mostly clean food), when I need it. I think I’m a bit worried that I will replace one obsession (dieting) with another(counting calories). It’s so hard making the change. The last week I have been eating what i want when I want and when I added the calories I was only on about 1700-1800 which is too low if I am going to used moderate. I’m so confused. Sad I'm 32, 135 pounds and 5ft2
I’ve made a few planned changes to my exercise too since I wrote. I dug my old bike out of the garage so i can cylce the 20 mins to work and then back again every day (5 days), I’m going to do one of my circuit based classes and then a Pt I know is giving me a 20 minute weights programme I can do at home 2-3 times a week.
08-01-2013, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2013 06:27 PM by Kiki.)
Hey we have the same stats big grin

Well...you may weigh just a smidgen less, lol...but we could be twins tongue

I would definitely keep your ultimate goal of not logging in the back of your mind at all times. You're very right that one obsession is VERY easily replaced by another. I see it all the time...heck, I DO it! LOL.

Most people in your position do start off logging in the beginning just to be sure that they are getting in enough cals, and then once their body is used to that amount of cals, they do a gradual wean. This is what I did as well. I logged for a while, then eventually moved to "end-of-day" logging, just to test myself (as you did?) to see how I did without pre-logging or logging during the day. Then I started not logging on weekends. Then only Mon-Thurs, etc.

Eventually I became confident enough, and results seemed stable enough to let go of full time logging.

I say full time, because logging is still my default if I feel the need to troubleshoot (feel like progress is stagnant, or having stomach issues, headaches, etc.), or when I switch phases (bulk/cut/maintenance) to make sure that I'm eating enough (or cutting back enough, etc)

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-02-2013, 03:53 AM
Shocked RE: new and questions please
Yay!!! We may have the same stats but I am definitely skinny fat at the moment, I'm aiming to be fit and strong like you and not rely on the scale number. I know that there is too much wiggle in my jiggle blushing
Thank you, I have given myself a headache the last few days trying not to count, to count. to not count, blah, blah!! I'm going to log them like you say until I feel a bit more confident. I will aim for moderate and just take it slowly. I'm up to about 1900 in my head at the moment. A works meal last night, a family meal tonight and a friends birthday tomorrow are going to bother me a bit but if I'm going to do this I will just have to suck it up and be patient.
Thanks again for putting this all together, it's a real help. There is so much out there about how to diet, not dieting is actually harder! Guessing you are in the states and sleeping!! I'm in England and just starting work! Have a great day!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Wink New with a couple of questions Pudding 2 662 02-01-2018 02:06 PM
Last Post: Pudding
  Newbie with questions gardengirl 10 4,930 08-05-2016 08:32 AM
Last Post: emma
  NEW..so many questions! Nmmerrell 7 3,381 02-13-2016 01:14 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  Newbie with a few questions Terri0813 3 1,998 12-18-2015 10:57 AM
Shocked New Motivated Questions Amy154 4 5,407 07-03-2014 08:31 PM
  Introduction story and newbie questions Lalalalee 9 8,974 06-05-2014 01:37 PM
  Metabolism Reset-Adrenal Fatigue Questions Mia74 5 13,968 05-11-2013 09:05 PM
Last Post: Lucia
  My EM2LW Stats - Questions zanditorres 3 4,665 03-19-2013 01:20 PM
Last Post: jaeone
  Purchased starter pack, a few more questions... Freed12 0 1,530 11-18-2012 12:13 AM
Last Post: Freed12