Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scale shift
08-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Scale shift
Just wanted to say that while my weight has not shifted in months and months despite working out 4-5 times a week, after going through a move and not really watching what I eat that closely and not working out at all I have lost 2 pounds. It is probably muscle loss but really!? I have been told by different people doing EM2WL that I am not eating enough so maybe this time the last few weeks has served as a reset for me?? I am hoping anyway. Now I can eat healthy again but plan to up the cals from what I was doing and work out again. How much should I work out? What do you guys do? I want to get the most bang for my buck and not be working out all the time so what is a good plan? What is bulking? Do you not do cardio at all during that?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2013, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 12:46 PM by Kiki.)
RE: Scale shift
Hey, it sounds like you probably needed the break.

EM2WL has a motto, when stagnant, increase the cals, lol.. It doesn't have to be a permanent increase. It can be a week of TDEE (aka "diet break" -which we recommend doing every 4-10 wks anyway), or a weekend "off", etc. Sometimes our body simply needs a break from the stress of dieting. It shows us this, the same way a stubborn mule would, lol...by not moving. When progress seems stagnant, always veer to the point of increasing fuel, to help this lovely machine of yours keep moving forward.

Often, many people will fight it and feel like they don't want to take a diet break or increase cals until they've seen a steady decrease on the scale or whatever. Well our bodies honestly don't care about out goals. It wants what it wants, and if we choose to not give it what it wants, it will fight us tooth and nail and we will go no where. We'd have been better off just taking the break.

Because 9xs out of 10, if our bodies need a reset, it will take one. We can take cals up, down, and sideways, and our bodies will NOT cooperate. This is usually a clear indication of a need to simply eat at TDEE rather than trying to force the body to do something that it's not ready to do yet. If you dig around enough, you will notice that this is a classic symptom that those who refuse to reset, or rush the reset will experience. They will experience such a struggle during cut, that from an outsiders perspective it's easy to see that they could have been eating at TDEE all the time spent trying to do otherwise, lol. But it's always easier with the shoe on the other foot, right?

Anyway.....

3-5 days of working out should be plenty perhaps alternating weight lifting and cardio days, sprinkling in some yoga/pilates for recovery is nice as well.

If you're just beginning, I'd recommend 3 days of full body workouts, and one or two days of cardio. Once you've been working out for a year or more, you may want to switch to "body-part" split type workouts.

Bulking is a way to replace the muscle lost during extreme deficits, or to "bring up" parts of your body that you would like to see improvement in. Putting on muscle for women is an extremely hard process and requires eating above maintenance. One lb of muscle = 2500 cals, so a woman would want to eat around 200 cals OVER TDEE to build muscle.

If you have access to YouTube, we have an entire series on bulking. Here's a couple vids from that series that would explain a bit:

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-07-2013, 03:23 PM
RE: Scale shift
Thank you so much Kiki! I so appreciate all your knowledgable advice!
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New scale jsue6 1 1,072 03-08-2017 09:55 AM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
  No Scale July bsinno 2 2,606 07-31-2012 07:50 PM
Last Post: Lucia
Lightbulb No Scale June bsinno 6 4,284 07-12-2012 10:17 AM
Last Post: divediva2