Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Upping cardio to eat more?
08-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Upping cardio to eat more?
So, I'm in my first week of cut. I have realized if I go below 2200-2300 cals, I'm hungry and it triggers "bingey" thoughts. I've been increasing cardio to make sure my TEE is around 2500-2700, so I can eat more big grin I'm a SAHM and my normal day is not very active. Without exercise my TEE is around 2200. My concern is I'm doing too much cardio and it will bite me in the a** eventually. Lol My cardio is 50-60mins of brisk walking(on treadmill) 6x/week and 10-15 mins HIIT 3-4x/wk, I also lift 3x/wk. Is that too much? I'm 5'8" and around 154 lbs, I'm not that concerned with the number on the scale, just building muscle and fat loss at this point.

Thanks,
Nichole wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2013, 04:48 PM
RE: Upping cardio to eat more?
To be blunt,yes! Too much cardio can def come back to haunt ya, lol..Especially if you start it too soon in the cut. Because as your body adapts, as you know, you'll need more and more. And that is a LOT of cardio, Nicole, lol.

Also, if building muscle is your focal point, then you may wanna tone down the cardio a bit as well. If you're wanting to increase activity level to eat more, there's nothing wrong with that, but you have to be careful of the type of activity you increase. While your body may not adapt to the HIIT, it will certainly adapt to the treadmill. While more than 3 HIITs per week is too many, why not consider doing body part split routines, so that you are lifting more and reduce your cardio a bit? Lifting will burn so many more cals, and the food has somewhere to go.

You may also simply want to increase your NEAT (non-exercise activity), as it's been shown to have a greater impact than simply increasing "gym" cardio. Save the treadmill walks for when you're really sore from lifting to aid in recovery, or you just need to clear your head once in a while. wink

On a side note, if you're that hungry, you may be better off just eating at TDEE until you're ready to cut. Your body may not be ready for a deficit just yet. Some hunger is normal and to be expected (you *should* be hungry eating less than your body needs - so that's a good sign), but if it triggers binge thoughts, we recommend just eating the food. With your height/weight, you should still be able to see some nice body recomposition while eating at maintenance.

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Also, keep in mind (if you're using an HRM) that lifting actually burns more cals than cardio due to the afterburn, and so does HIIT. So if you're not including that afterburn factor, that could be the source of your hunger. With cardio, what you see (on the HRM) is what you get, but with lifting/HIIT you're burning more overall cals all day long.

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks Kiki!! I was wondering how to lift more and keep to the "every other day" rule? Split routines makes more sense(duh?). I would love to do that instead of the treadmill big grin

Thanks,
Nichole wink
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What do you do for cardio??? Gemmybean 9 7,643 12-31-2015 01:21 PM
Last Post: DarrylSpiers
  Too Much Cardio? ben_running 10 15,647 01-31-2015 10:28 AM
Last Post: nineateseven
  Can I replace regular Cardio with HIIT? jyska 6 12,788 11-11-2012 11:32 AM
Last Post: Kiki