Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Caliper vs. measuring tape - BF%
08-27-2013, 10:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2013 10:29 AM by decblessings.)
Caliper vs. measuring tape - BF%
So I'm nearing the end of my reset and I had my husband do my caliper measurements again. My weight is up about 4 pounds in 8 weeks. I jumped up two pounds quickly and stayed there for about a month. The other two pounds were accrued over a weeks vacation where I definitely splurged. I've maintained those two pounds for 3 weeks. Overall, my measurements are up about 1/2" everywhere... maybe closer to an inch in some areas. My caliper measurements were all lower. We're no expert BF measurers, by any means, but I was shocked.

The first time he took the measurements were after I had done my own as much as I could. This was also two weeks into the reset and I'd already gained the first 2 pounds. Our results were pretty similar. We used the average of three measurements, all of which were very close. When he measured me again this weekend I kept making him do the measurements over because they were lower. Only one spot was measuring significantly less (the spot by your boob/armpit/shoulder). Anyway, here are our results...

Navy % 7/16 - 32, 8/26 - 33.44

Covert % 7/16 - 28.5, 8/26 - 29.38

7-site % 7/16 - 24, 8/26 - 21.25

The caliper measurements are clearly significantly lower than the % based on tape measurements. Could I have possibly lost almost 3% body fat in 6 weeks, or do you think have I actually gained as based on the other calculators? Which do you think is more accurate in a nonprofessional's hands? What would you say would be a good figure to use for an average bf%?

Also, perhaps the initial measurements were inflated due to water weight gain... I definitely don't feel like I have less body fat! I have been doing weights approximately 2 times a week and lifting heavy (which I was told to take it easier on that from my doctor yesterday...).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2015, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2015 07:14 PM by jnzy.)
RE: Caliper vs. measuring tape - BF%
Not the most accurate thing around but have you tried this http://healthiack.com/body-fat-percentage-calculator
There's also a nice body fat percentage chart there so you can assess your body fat using that chart and looking yourself in the mirror.

Oh wow I just realized I revived a very old thread. Sorry about that. Just wanted to help...
02-11-2015, 04:47 PM
That calculator doesn't make any sense.
02-28-2015, 10:53 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2015 10:55 AM by jnzy.)
(02-11-2015 04:47 PM)emma Wrote:  That calculator doesn't make any sense.

I've tried it and it produces some reasonable numbers for me. I'm 192 cm tall, weigh 107 kilograms (so that's about 29 BMI) and 29 years old. I've got 25% body fat. I do kind of look like the guy between 20-22% body fat and the guy between 30-32% body fat (http://healthiack.com/body-fat-percentag...tage-chart).

I am fully aware that no static formula or calculator can produce accurate results, but there are tools that produce reasonable results...