Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cathe heavy weight workouts (non STS)
07-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Cathe heavy weight workouts (non STS)
I finished stage 1 of NROLFW but feel like a DVD would help me more, and i want a bit more length to my workout time.

I'm not physically or mentally ready for Cathe's STS. But I would like a workout (singular or series) from her that is focused primarily on strength (heavy lifts) versus circuits or aerobic style workouts.

Would really appreciate any suggestions in that regard. If possible, I'd like to avoid an incline bench, but willing to ante up for it if necessary.

Thank you! happy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2012, 12:18 PM
RE: Cathe heavy weight workouts (non STS)
Hi! How about Slow & Heavy? It's an older Cathe workout but I still use it and love it. It's a split and although the title says heavy, know that you won't be able to lift super heavy simply because the lifts are very slow and controlled. I also like the Gym Styles series, although if I want to really heavy up on them, I tend to pause and take slightly longer breaks between sets. It is also a split. For a total body workout, Muscle Max is a good total body one or STS total body (which isn't part of the STS series). I like STS TB because you do a triset of exercises for 16 reps, then repeat the triset for 12 reps- no low ends or pulses. Hope that helps and if you have any other questions, just yell!

Patti
Currently doing everything Cathe! happy
07-12-2012, 12:47 PM
that is so helpful--thank you!
frankly I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I had wanted to do STS, but I see that once I get 1RMs done, it takes me nearly into end November...and I'm leaving on a trip sometime mid November. I'm concerned I'll start a program I can't follow through with in 90 days Sad

So my idea was (I'm entering cut here soon) maybe I can do some workouts like you mention until the new year, when I'm back from my trip (it's a long trip) and then start an STS at that time with a clear head & schedule.

the biggest thing I could use a little advice/input on is:
Tell me that if I just try to keep lifting heavier weights, ala the programs you mentioned, it will be OK. It's Ok to not have some 6-month program planned out!

is that true? I am very new to lifting. I feel bamboozled by getting it right or screwing something up.
07-12-2012, 05:31 PM
yes, you'll be fine doing that. Keep track of the weights that you use with each workout, and just increase whenever you can consistently do 2 more reps than she does. She will tell you the amount that she is using in most of her vids (other than STS, because it's a personalized series), so you will have an idea of what to use or work toward. wink

There are quite a few of us Cathletes that will be starting STS again in the fall (November-ish?), so maybe you'll be just shortly behind us happy

BTW, the DVDs that Patti mentioned are right on target with what I was going to say, so you should do great!

And here's a great website for helping you keep track of your workouts and the weight you use:
http://figlife.com/tools/

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2012, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012 09:14 PM by orphylea.)
Kiki, I didn't know you were going to do STS again this fall, I may join you! big grin

And OF COURSE I'm going to agree with Kiki and say you will be fine using these DVDs for now. Keep a log of what you lift and increase when you can. If you PM me your e-mail, I can send you a Word document I received a long time ago with workout sheets for Cathe's weight DVDs. I make them for the new workouts too, and I can send you what I have. It makes it easier to keep track of what you're lifting.

ETA: Um, I'm a dork. That website that Kiki listed is where I got my info. But I also have some of the newer DVDs done if you want those logs. happy

Patti
07-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Patti- I'd be interested in some of the logs for the new vids big grin

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

07-14-2012, 09:22 AM
(07-13-2012 01:37 PM)Kiki Wrote:  Patti- I'd be interested in some of the logs for the new vids big grin

I can't attach documents to these posts, right? I didn't see an option. I was trying to think of a way to post them for anyone that wants them. Hmm. Kiki, what e-mail do you want me to use?

Patti
07-15-2012, 01:00 AM
If you hit the "new reply" button, there is an option for attachments wink

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

07-16-2012, 09:22 AM

.docx  STS Total Body.docx (Size: 16.79 KB / Downloads: 20)
.doc  Lower Body Blast.doc (Size: 38.5 KB / Downloads: 9)

OK, I tried to attach STS Total Body and Lower Body Blast. Let's see if it worked.

Patti
07-16-2012, 01:30 PM
I got it! Thanks!!

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Workouts Ellopez1123 2 3,777 03-14-2016 06:51 PM
Last Post: Ellopez1123
  Heavy Lifting & Barre Workouts Candi 2 3,438 12-21-2015 08:28 AM
Last Post: Candi
  Help - How to begin lifting heavy lovtolaff 4 6,613 01-27-2015 10:17 PM
Last Post: jaeone
  not afraid to say that i love lifting heavy Gemmybean 4 6,354 03-26-2014 10:15 PM
Last Post: Trishadams
  Bulking with 'not so' heavy weights? MrsVtec 2 5,028 10-30-2012 09:16 AM
Last Post: Kiki
  Cathe STS 1RM Ange 4 8,349 10-10-2012 08:14 PM
Last Post: Lucia
  Considering Cathe STS regina 3 5,421 09-25-2012 11:28 PM
Last Post: Kiki
  My next Cathe workout tbellamy 10 13,876 08-17-2012 10:30 AM
Last Post: bsinno
Tongue HEAVY lifting? tbellamy 2 4,823 08-16-2012 08:57 PM
Last Post: Lucia