Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help with Eating the TDEE or cut Cals
08-30-2013, 04:56 AM
Help with Eating the TDEE or cut Cals
Hi there,

I have been eating at a 15% cut, or a little above, to gradually get up to eating at my TDEE--because I really am having a hard time getting the calories in. I have read this before, and the responses have been very helpful. However, by evening and bedtime, my abdominal area is so bloated, tight and sore that I am super uncomfortable! I woke up this morning still tight and bloated. I feel like I could not eat for a few days and still not be hungry!

I have eaten low carb for a long time, and super low carb all summer, so I know I am going to experience bloating (though I didn't know it would be like this) --I can seriously jiggle my belly around and feel water swishing!! Sorry if that is TMI. I have always eaten a lot of vegetables, and they were my carb source. Still doing the same, though in smaller amounts, but adding in morning steel cut oats and sometimes rice cakes or a GF wrap (I am GFree as it has always been super helpful with my thyroid). I have also been trying to eat more dairy and protein powders as the protein is hard to get in otherwise. I do have a really hard time with dairy (that also makes my stomach unwell and causes wicked constipation) but boy it makes it easier to get the protein in!

15% cut: 1850 TDEE: 2200 or so.
Moderately active (lift heavy three- four days a week, walk the dogs daily)

Can someone give me some eating/meal recommendations that might help reduce the achiness? I log into my fitness pal every day. I usually eat:

B: oatmeal, protein powder, greek yogurt, fruit, nuts
L: Salad, chicken, olive oil, olives, maybe nuts
S: protein shake with almond milk, coconut cream or rice cakes with cottage cheese or greek yogurt
D: good amount of protein, vegetables with olive oil, rice or potatoes, maybe a glass of red wine
Dessert: if I can still eat, I might eat some meringues from Trader Joe's or a piece of dark chocolate.

I do need to stay gluten free and I really should not eat dairy, though I am stumped as to how to get the protein in. I try to get in a lot within the first two meals and afternoon snack.

Thanks so much. I really want to make this work as I am so tired of not eating much.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2013, 12:19 PM
RE: Help with Eating the TDEE or cut Cals
To add calories in easily without adding a lot of "volume" try things like nuts, seeds - also pick higher nutrient versions of what you are already eating for example: hearty crackers instead of rice cakes, eggs instead of egg whites, Ezekiel wraps instead of those low carb - low cal wraps. Use coconut oil in your smoothies or peanut butter.. Traders Joe's makes little snack packs of granola mix, cashews or mixed nuts etc that are 200cals each and only like a handful. Also for protein I have been eating beef jerkey - they have 100 cal bags that are 18g per bag - good luck! it does get easier to eat more - just like you stomach shrinks - it also expands happy
08-30-2013, 07:28 PM
(08-30-2013 12:19 PM)eva552 Wrote:  To add calories in easily without adding a lot of "volume" try things like nuts, seeds - also pick higher nutrient versions of what you are already eating for example: hearty crackers instead of rice cakes, eggs instead of egg whites, Ezekiel wraps instead of those low carb - low cal wraps. Use coconut oil in your smoothies or peanut butter.. Traders Joe's makes little snack packs of granola mix, cashews or mixed nuts etc that are 200cals each and only like a handful. Also for protein I have been eating beef jerkey - they have 100 cal bags that are 18g per bag - good luck! it does get easier to eat more - just like you stomach shrinks - it also expands happy

Thanks so much. It does take a lot of rethinking. I thought I did better today, but I still have WAY to many fruits and veggies for my stomach to handle, in addition to extra calories! Will try more dense food options tomorrow.
08-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Hey Rusty,

Your meals look very well balanced, getting in protein, carbs and good fats! Not sure how far off you are from hitting your target, but would it be possible to add in another meal, say a snack between breakfast and lunch? Usually if I hit my protein goal for the day, but still need a few cals, a little bit of fat pulls me over. I eat an avocado pretty much daily along with nuts or nut butters. Between those two alone, I hit 500 cals. If you're not hitting your mark on protein, a shake after dinner could help as well. Your veggie/fruit intake didn't look overwhelming (you said it was way too high). Are you eating large servings? Cruciferous veggies, like broccoli and cauliflower, especially if eaten uncooked, can contribute to bloating.

@Eva, I'm a huge TJ fan as well. Have you tried the turkey jerky? So delish!

Trish
Don't WISH for it...WORK for it.

MFP
em2wl
09-01-2013, 04:22 AM
(08-30-2013 09:33 PM)Trishadams Wrote:  Hey Rusty,

Your meals look very well balanced, getting in protein, carbs and good fats! Not sure how far off you are from hitting your target, but would it be possible to add in another meal, say a snack between breakfast and lunch? Usually if I hit my protein goal for the day, but still need a few cals, a little bit of fat pulls me over. I eat an avocado pretty much daily along with nuts or nut butters. Between those two alone, I hit 500 cals. If you're not hitting your mark on protein, a shake after dinner could help as well. Your veggie/fruit intake didn't look overwhelming (you said it was way too high). Are you eating large servings? Cruciferous veggies, like broccoli and cauliflower, especially if eaten uncooked, can contribute to bloating.

@Eva, I'm a huge TJ fan as well. Have you tried the turkey jerky? So delish!

Thanks Trish. Actually, I forgot to add in my afternoon snack! I always have an afternoon protein shake with powder, fruit, and almond milk, and sometimes some coconut cream to up the calories. If I don't, I find I cannot hit my protein needs for the day.

I didn't put quantities of vegetables but I have a history of eating a LOT of them at lunch and dinner. I am actually cutting way back (but still getting plenty, mind you) because there is no way I can eat the denser foods plus all the salad!

I will try the jerky and avocados. Heading to Trader Joe's today and I know they carry some.

Thanks for the additional advice. I never thought I would be on a site asking for help in how to eat more food.
09-03-2013, 01:04 PM
I love TJ's Turkey Jerky!! happy

Def go to trader Joes Rusty its not expensive and everything is AMAZING - its not about volume eating like you may have done while dieting! its about healthful eating - I LOVE being able to enjoy avocado, nut butters, coconut oil, eggs...the list goes on! good luck!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Eating More with IBS Symptoms? kathy 4 5,334 09-05-2016 06:39 PM
Last Post: estkay
Information Upping Cals - What to expect & why you need patience... EM2WL 22 42,448 07-31-2016 06:20 AM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  TDEE Activity Level and Eating Back Calories petstorekitty 3 4,682 10-21-2015 09:26 PM
  New to EM2WL - definitely not eating enough! melissaseaside 3 4,906 08-19-2015 08:46 PM
  eat back cals? mjj79 2 3,487 07-27-2015 10:41 PM
  Can you gain muscle while eating below TDEE? MaryGold 2 6,942 04-23-2015 07:27 PM
  Eating at Maintenance breee__j 3 5,136 08-02-2014 06:34 PM
  New to the world of eating more running4myboys 9 12,315 04-29-2014 04:22 PM
Last Post: running4myboys
  Eating too much rlm0031 7 9,593 02-16-2014 12:58 PM
Last Post: emma
  No problem eating more? lucy1984 5 6,878 12-15-2013 12:49 AM
Last Post: lucy1984