Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Another newbie Question :P
09-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Another newbie Question :P
Hi all!

I have just discovered eat more to weigh less, and while at the moment it seems too good to be true, I am keen to give it a go. I have been on a weight loss diet of some form for at least ten years most recently calorie counting and intermittent fasting. These last few months I have really struggled with hunger - I feel like my body ahs been starved of energy and nutrients for so long that now it is pushing me to eat. I'm on a constant diet and binge cycle. I'd like to try eating more to feed my body, reboot my metabolism, and hopefully then lose weight with a 10-15% cut as per this program.

I have a question about TDEE - I do the following exercise:
Weights - 50 mins 2-3 times per week
Bike ride - 50 mins, 5 times per week (moderate effort)
HIIT (5 one minute bike sprints) - 2 times per week
Walk - 60 mins three times per week

Would you put that down as moderate or strenuous in the scooby calculate?
Cheers,
Lucy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2013, 07:40 PM
RE: Another newbie Question :P
I should say, my job is very sedentary - sitting at a computer 8 hours per day happy
09-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Wow! That is alot of exercise. You may consider cutting back slightly, because you may find it hard to fuel that! I'd like to hear opinions from the other mods but I would choose the option of very active. You definitely do not fall into the moderate category, but I'm not sure you want to select the strenuous category as it does not sound as if all your workouts are particularly strenuous.
You may find you do better off with 3 strength training sessions that are based on multi-joint, compound movements (bench, squat, deadlift, rows, presses) and 2-3 short (30 minute) HIIT sessions. Then you can incorporate your walking, etc. as a way to raise your TDEE through just moving more. Just my two cents happy

Time to ditch the scale and pick up the barbell!!!
09-02-2013, 12:23 AM
Thanks. The thing is, the bike rides really are my favourite thing to do happy I do the HIIT because I feel I *have to* - because I've read so much about them etc, but I really don't like them....

On another note, at the moment I'm not purposefully upping my calories - I only just discovered EMWL, and I have a trip to Hawaii in 4 weeks, so I'm not keen to gain any weight before then. At the moment I am kinda just in a holding pattern, because as the book says, this isn't a quick fix, so there is no point trying anything big so close to my holiday. But I figure once in Hawaii I will natural eat up to TDEE because of all the nice food (I've been before laughing. At the moment I am just trying to not go hungry and maintain my current weight, even if my metabolism is far from ideal. I figure if I do this for the next four weeks, then three weeks holidays, then when I get back I can really start working towards eating my full TDEE.

I think I have come *some* way towards healing my metabolism from my really restrictive dieting days - I tried doing intermittent fasting, with very low cal days (500), and then eating up to 2000-2200 on some feast days, and I really did feel my body temp etc go up those days. But the negative of that eating approach was it lead to binge eating for me, I think because I have had SUCH a restricted diet in the past. But that's why when I came across EMWL it made sense to try it, as some of my experiences indicated to me that this really could work! (not that this is news to you).

Last time I went to Hawaii I was on my honeymoon, my thyroid was crashing, I had adrenal fatigue, and I had been on a diet about 8 years at that point. I gained 7kg on holiday, and all in all 12kg in one year. Since then I have managed to get onto t3 for my thyroid, and I gave up daily distance running and my half marathon training, and I *feel* like the adrenal fatigue has ended....so I am hoping I have healed my metabolism partly, at least, enough to only maybe gain a few kg while on holiday this time...but as I say, at least I can sue it as the start of metabolism reset.
09-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Hi Lucy,

Hawaii...how exciting!! Well, I agree with you on waiting til you get back. The likely weight gain will probably stress you out before the trip. When you return you can begin working on healing your metabolism. I'm in agreement with Becca on the activity setting. You are getting quite a bit of exercise. Cutting back a bit could work in your favor. And if you really don't like hiit, don't do it. Sure there are many advantages of hiit over steady state for fat loss, but you should look forward to your training sessions, not dread them. Enjoy your trip. Check in when you get back!

Trish
Don't WISH for it...WORK for it.

MFP
em2wl
12-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Hi all,
I think I've pretty much completed my reset. I haven't actually been counting my calories, but I have been eating really well, and a few intermittent checks showed I was probably eating above my TDEE most days. I have been doing this around 12 weeks. I've gained about 5kg. Im still gaining, but I'm think that's because I was probably eating over TDEE.
Anyway. I am looking at attempting a cut up until christmas.
At the moment I am doing 3x30mins weights per week - I have actually gotten stronger, lifting heavier than when I started, which is usually something I never achieve.
I am also alternating between running of a morning (30mins), and riding my bike (50mins), plus a few walks thrown in the mix too.
I am working on the assumption that this is still 'strenuous' (according to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/), which gives me a TDEE of 2797, and 15% cut of 2377.

I have say, I can't help but feel skeptical that I could eat almost 2400 calories and slowly lose weight...especially when my maintenace calories according to myfitness pal have me at 1770 + exercise, which would usually come out to less than 2400.
12-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Or do you think I should spend a few weeks eating at 'maintenance', to determine what my actual maintenance is level is, and then work out my cut properly from there. I think perhaps that is better?
One further question then - I tend to have every Wednesday as a rest day from exercise. would I still eat up to maintenance that day, or go a little lower?
12-10-2013, 08:59 PM
And ignore my earlier calories, my tdee is 2506, and -15% is 2130, as I am not a man.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Shocked New here with a question teachertoo 30 30,148 02-24-2017 12:31 AM
Last Post: FionaSchipke
  newbie reset question belia 60 54,992 12-10-2015 11:21 AM
Last Post: belia
  Hello, hello! (And question about forums) BlueJays44 3 4,241 11-21-2015 08:28 AM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  Checking In/Lifting Question petstorekitty 3 4,565 10-05-2015 04:01 AM
Last Post: mrsukyankee
  Another Newbie! TLDR - question at end decblessings 5 7,924 08-01-2013 07:14 PM
Last Post: Kiki