Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Vegetarians Eating More
07-13-2012, 12:07 AM
Vegetarians Eating More
I just wanted to start a thread for the vegetarians on the "eat more" plan.

I'm personally an ovo-lacto vegetarian, and I strive for the 30p/30f/40c macro everyday. That works out to about a goal of 143g of protein a day. Some days I do better than others at hitting that. I pretty much can't do it without whey though (which is fine, as it is a great protein). I do eat eggs, nuts, beans, rice, dairy products (greek yogurt, cottage cheese, really any kind of cheese, but no straight milk due to lactose issues), soy, etc.

Tonight after my workout, I was waaaaay short on calories for the day, and pretty short on protein too, so I made this ridiculous shake:

1/2 cup of Chobani Greek Yogurt
4 tablespoons of Skippy Creamy Peanut Butter
2 Scoops of Muscletech Chocolate Whey Protein
8 oz of Great Value Chocolate Soymilk
and a bit of ice

It tasted just like a peanut butter chocolate milk shake, it was heavenly.

It had 821 calories and 71 grams of protein. big grin (also 60 carbs, 37 fat, and 7 fiber)

Erin

[Image: 2444404.png]
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2012, 11:50 AM
RE: Vegetarians Eating More
Thought this would be a good place to share this vid about vegan/vegetarian sources of complete protein, and why it's necessary:
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/health/...u-need.cnn

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-15-2012, 08:48 PM
(07-15-2012 11:50 AM)Kiki Wrote:  Thought this would be a good place to share this vid about vegan/vegetarian sources of complete protein, and why it's necessary:
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/health/...u-need.cnn

Thanks for that video. I'm going to watch it as soon as I get a minute. I've actually recently made the decision to move to a more plant-based diet. It is definitely hard getting in all of my calories when I'm used to relying on meat sources to get in many of them. That being said, just in the past week I've found some great options.

Thanks for starting this thread. I was actually thinking there would need to be an area on this forum for vegetarians/vegans. So I'm glad it's here because I'm going to need all the help I can get.

How long have you been vegetarian lillebanon? Any thoughts/resources on the transition? I will not be going cold turkey. I could probably do it, but the rest of my family can't/won't. My hubby is being really supportive though. At this point I'm just trying to cut way back - like meat once or twice a week and then go from there.

Crystal
07-15-2012, 10:21 PM
I have been vegetarian for 16 years, but before coming to MFP and learning about macros and whatnot, I probably only averaged about 30 to 50 g of protein in my diet per day.
I do personally use meat substitutes, especially if the rest of my family is having hamburgers for dinner, I will throw a veggie burger on the grill alongside their meat patties. But my family doesn't mind eating some meat free dishes either (like pastas) or my using veggie "crumbles" in the place of hamburger meat in casseroles, chilis, etc. I have actually served a veggie substitute chili at a pot luck where no one was the wiser. happy

Erin

[Image: 2444404.png]
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
09-24-2013, 03:37 AM
Hi all. I'm an EM2WL newbie and have been vegetarian for nearly 9 years now. Most days I'm pretty good at hitting my protein with pea/rice protein powder, eggs, nuts/seeds, beans, legumes, tofu, etc.
Wondering if any of you have some advice on getting enough calories without overdoing it on fats? I eat nuts, seeds, nut butters etc for protein as well as fat but am struggling to get above 2200ish calories (TDEE is 2543 - just started reset) and am already slightly over on fats (include nuts/seeds, avocado, olive/coconut oil etc everyday).. Any tips??

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  No Vegetarians?? nwcountrygal 2 1,971 02-19-2016 02:15 PM
Last Post: emma
  Who are the EM2WL Vegetarians/Vegans? CrystalFueled 13 14,037 10-19-2013 05:27 AM
Last Post: JsuaMils