Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Too Full to Eat TDEE
09-10-2013, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2013 04:51 PM by Rusty.)
Too Full to Eat TDEE
I am in the fourth week of my reset (which really started out as a 15% cut for week one, so three weeks) and I am having a really hard time eating my calories. I know I should be thrilled about eating more, but my stomach is really uncomfortable pretty much all the time. It is bloated and distended, I never feel hungry, and it kind of hurts. I got some great help here about how to eat more dense foods, which I am doing, but I still feel pretty uncomfortable.

At the start, I was 150 pounds (5'5"). Now I am 153 pounds--I just weighed myself for the first time today (I hate the scale). My current TDEE is 2059 and 15% cut is 1750. My stomach seems to do okay on around 1800 but when I go higher it really rebels.

I don't know if I am doing this right or not? I feel like I am following right along the path you have said can happen: I know I am putting on weight as my shorts are tight, my shirts are tight, etc.... nothing fits the same. I lift heavy 3-4 days a week for around 45 minutes (and I know for sure that is making me much bigger in the butt, legs, and arms--not super thrilled with that right now, but I am hanging in there). I always walk a lot with my dogs (2.5-5 miles per day), but am trying to have one or two total rest days, doing only a short walk with them.

I also bought a FitBand, which has confused matters even more, because now I really don't know how much I am supposed to eat. I do log in the weight lifting time as I know the FB does not calculate anaerobic activity but I leave everything else alone...but my TDEE is coming out between 2200-2400 per day and I can't really even get to 2000 without feeling gross.

Who knew I would ever complain about eating too much? Does anyone have suggestions? I don't want to spend the time on the reset, only to find out I didn't do it properly because I couldn't eat enough, or something like that.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2013, 06:29 PM
RE: Too Full to Eat TDEE
You should add more calorie-dense healthy foods to your diet. These will add more calories without filling you up as much. I'm thinking that eating things such as avocados, nuts, nut butters, oils (extra virgin olive oil is definitely healthy) could be a good way to go.

Would moving from low-fat things to full-fat things help you increase calories without feeling so bloated? For example, if you eat/drink low-fat dairy, you can start eating/drinking full fat dairy.

Additionally, if you're currently only drinking water, I feel like it'd be easy to incorporate some sort of shake or a glass of milk with a meal to increase calories without making you feel as bloated.

Hope these ideas help you!
09-10-2013, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2013 06:42 PM by curiousgeorgia.)
Realistically speaking, if you need to add on approx 200 calories, that can be as simple as 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (approx 190 calories) or 2 tablespoons of EVOO (approx 238 calories) or a small avocado (136 grams of a California avocado is approx 234 calories) or a cup of milk (approx 148 calories) or 23 whole almonds (28 grams is approx 163 calories).
09-10-2013, 10:40 PM
I agree w/curiousgeorgia on increasing fat. It's usually a common tweak in the beginning when it's too hard to get the cals in.

Another thing to consider is that it could just be the phase of the reset that you're in. As explained in the Starter Kit, there are several phases, in the beginning it's hard to get the cals in...then there's a ravenous phase where you can't get enough, lol..then it tapers down again.

You could just still be in the beginning phases.

Another suggestion that works in the beginning is to set a timer and eat in more close intervals (like every 2-3 hours). A few days of semi-forced meal times, and your body adjusts and starts begging for meals at the appointed time. Once you get to the point where you're hungry enough to eat the full TDEE, you can space the meals in a way that's appropriate for your schedule. But training your hunger in the beginning can be very helpful.

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-28-2013, 09:02 AM
I thought I would write a follow up for my initial question, just to give people an idea of how things are moving along (if you are a person who does not like seeing the scale and clothing sizes go up!).

I am at the point now where I can eat at my TDEE daily without any problem. The tummy stretching and discomfort is gone! My weight has increased to around 155...but I think I am stablized there. I am at 8 weeks of TDEE this week (really the first two were at 15% cut, but that was when I was trying to "learn" how to eat more and just couldn't). I hate the scale being higher....I hate that my clothes fit tighter....BUT I really feel much BETTER eating more food. My mood is better, my energy is better, and I am actually beginning to get hungry again (I used to never experience hunger, despite low cal and low carb eating). I feel a lot more settled into this and am trusting others' experiences. If I am still stable by the end of next week, I will begin the 15% cut.

Also, I have been heavy lifting three times a week the entire time--though I am never sure I am actually lifting heavy enough. How sore should one be the next day? I am rarely very sore. However, I am gaining in strength, so I know something is working. I walk most days but take one full rest day a week. If I have a lifting day, I walk a little, if it is an off-lifting day, I walk 4-5 miles (with dogs!). I'd like to do some HIIT but I am waiting as I don't want to throw off my TDEE with too much cardio right now. my measurements have changed a tiny bit, but even with that I am careful. I have measured the day after lifting (ding dong that was wrong), and now I am only measuring and weighing on Sundays--my day which is two days after my last lift. Will see this week if there are any more changes.

I got a FitBit and that is very helpful, though I am no expert with it and how to incorporate the weight lifting into it. I generally log the weight lifting in My Fitness Pal but put the calorie value at one since I already set my calories as a moderately active person.

Ok--enough for now. Will be curious to see what happens with the cut. Hope this wasn't too long. Just wanted to put in a progress note if anyone finds it helpful.
09-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the update Rusty. You are in a good mental place. How long have you been stable in weight eating tdee. I'd suggest starting with a 10% cut. Allow yourself some wiggle room if you need to cut again. If you lose at 10% then stick there remembering to eat tdee every four weeks.

I'm not always sore but am most times. Sometimes it you do the same routine you adjust. So you could switch things up with reps and sets... Do drop sets, do last set to Failure, supersets... Lots of ways to switch up. Be sure to take your recovery week too.

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
09-29-2013, 05:28 AM
(09-28-2013 02:36 PM)Lucia Wrote:  Thanks for the update Rusty. You are in a good mental place. How long have you been stable in weight eating tdee. I'd suggest starting with a 10% cut. Allow yourself some wiggle room if you need to cut again. If you lose at 10% then stick there remembering to eat tdee every four weeks.

I'm not always sore but am most times. Sometimes it you do the same routine you adjust. So you could switch things up with reps and sets... Do drop sets, do last set to Failure, supersets... Lots of ways to switch up. Be sure to take your recovery week too.

Thanks Lucia! I will keep working at the lifting. I can't really find a program that I connect with that keeps me working. I just want a really simple 3 x a week program that uses good sensible lifts and works me good and hard. The program right now has some good lifts but then things like calf raises, which I just don't see how that fits in a heavy lifting routine in any meaningful way.

Just took weight and measurements. All the same except waist and the "pooch". Also up a pound. However, I am right in the midst of TOM so I am not too concerned. I really don't like to weigh more than once a week (I hate that thing), but I might check in with the scale mid-week to see if I have stabilized after TOM is done. My weight has been in the 155 range for about a month now.

Thanks for the advice about the 10% versus 15%. I still am really confused about my actual TDEE, as I now have a FitBit and I know it doesn't measure weightlifting accurately, but I may be over thinking the technology too much. I seem to get somewhere around 2000-2200 calories a day and my TDEE is around 2150 or so.
09-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Honestly that's the reason I went with the BodyMedia Fit. It is the better of two when your a lifter. Fitbit tracks steps only. Bmf takes in more data and learns you so you get a closer to true tdee.

We will be starting sts in a couple weeks. It's a strength program that gets results. It takes you through three Meso cycles... Endurance, hypertrophy and strength. She works every muscle and you see visible differences after each Meso.
We absolutely love Cathe.
https://www.e-junkie.com/ecom/gb.php?cl=...aff=216632

Lucia

big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
09-29-2013, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2013 08:41 AM by Lucia.)
Oh there is a discount code of SAVE20 if you decide to grab it.

We are affiliates for Bmf too because I love it
http://BodyMedia.ojrq.net/c/53303/38729/1292
And the discount code is MFP763437343

Lucia

big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
09-29-2013, 05:20 PM
I use a FitBit as well...and bought myself a polar heart rate monitor. I use the heart monitor for my lifting and then log that into the FitBit dashboard under activity. It puts the calories burned into my daily count as well as my active minutes. Doing it this way doesn't mess with the settings I have on My Fitness Pal, but it is still tracking my burn a little more accurately. happy

Rhoda
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user