Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Newbie preparing to start
09-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Newbie preparing to start
Hey team! Am very glad to have found this site. I have been off and on Weight Watchers since May 2000. I've come to realize that some of the weird collection of symptoms I've had -- feeling chilly, brittle nails, constantly chapped lips, infrequent rashes -- might be down to a depressed metabolism! While I've never been formally diagnosed with an ED, I have had some disordered thinking.

Anyway, I'm tired of dieting and gaining back, and I want to be happy, healthy, and sane.

I'm leaving for vacation this Saturday, but have been gathering my tools & info to get ready to start when I get home. I just got a Fitbit, I'd had a MyFitnessPal account, but I'm not sure how to put those things together with the EM2WL program. If someone could provide a step-by-step link, I would be grateful. Thank you so much for your help!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2013, 09:20 PM
RE: Newbie preparing to start
Welcome!

So glad you found the site as well!

There is a great starter kit that probably answers most if not all your questions and will guide you through the process. It would also make great reading for vacation! Information is also available throughout the site but this gives you a compact little guide that you can refer back to when needed.

http://eatmore2weighless.com/faqs/

Have a great time! Check in when you get backwink

Trish
Don't WISH for it...WORK for it.

MFP
em2wl
Find all posts by this user
09-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Thanks Trish! I guess I had a few more specific questions that weren't addressed in the FAQ:

1. Is it better for me to collect Fitbit data for a couple weeks or use the site to calculate?
  2. Should I average out my Fitbit cals burned, to cover days when I'm not working out?
  3. In MyFitnessPal, when I log calories burned with exercise, it adds to my net calories. But my understanding is we don't want that, I should eat my TDEE-15% every day. How can I set it up to do that?

Those are the questions off the top of my head. Your patience is most appreciated. happy
09-25-2013, 12:03 AM
Hey!

Since you have a fitbit, you can feel free to use it. You may even want to use it to check against what the calculator gives you. They usually end up the same or slightly higher (on fitbit end). The only thing to keep in mind is that the fitbit doesn't do the greatest job with including your lifting burns. It does ok with cardio days, but can be anywhere from 250-600 or more cals off on lifting days.

The fitbit will do a great job of helping you to know the base cals being burned other than lifting. That's where the comparison to the calculator can come into play wink

If you use your fitbit to figure your numbers, then yes you could just do an average to figure out a basic number to simply eat each day. That's what the calculator will do anyway (average all activity for the week and divide over a seven day period)

As for MFP there are two ways that most EM2WLers do it. Either aim for the amount that you should eat daily, ignoring the additional cals given...or, simply enter "1" for the cals burned for X amount of activity. That way you still track your amount of activity, but don't get thrown off by the extra cals being given back.

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
09-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Kiki, this is great. Thank you so much for your time! lovestruck

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fresh Start @ 55...need advice daphne67 82 67,949 05-23-2017 09:20 AM
Last Post: MaggieG123
  Hoping to get some guidance on where/how to start Poppy 9 8,977 02-13-2016 01:24 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  can't figure out where to start aperfect8 6 8,299 07-03-2015 12:20 PM
Last Post: aperfect8
  New and where to start? jsue6 9 13,973 11-04-2014 01:02 PM
Last Post: SarahWeb