Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Whole Foods/High Fat Diet
09-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Whole Foods/High Fat Diet
I wasn't sure where to post this and this forum seemed appropriate. I have (had) thyroid issues (hypo), adrenal issues, sex hormone issues, wasn't recovering from exercise well (severe muscle aches that led to migraines) and have hormonal migraines. I'm 41 and the hormonal migraines have been going on since I was 17. The other issues started after the birth of my daughter 4 years ago.

In June I began a Paleo'ish diet. I hate to label it that way, but really I just cut out gluten, dairy, and sugar in hopes to help my body heal. I was low calorie for about a month just because of cutting out so much. But I knew I needed to increase calories and I've been doing that and I'm up to about 1750 now which I realize is still a little low for me.

Here's my dilemma....I am feeling so much better - still having some issues but I did come off my thyroid med recently happy When I exercise, I strictly life (maybe I might do HIIT for about 10 min after twice a week), but I've been sporadic with exercise. I hope to get in the gym and lift 4 times a week once I can get my schedule worked out.

I want to increase my calories even more. But I eat a high fat diet (approx 60%) and feel great doing that! Of course I eat all healthy fats - lots of avocado, coconut oil, coconut butter, etc. I've seen so many positive changes in my health since eating this way.

My question is can I still do EM2WL in conjunction with a higher fat diet? I want to remain gluten free. I'm okay with a bit of sugar from time-to-time and I'm okay with Greek yogurt at times as well. My protein is around 30%, but my carbs are around 10%.

According to Scooby, my BMR is 1549, my TDEE is 2130, and 15% cut would put me at 1811. That's all based on 1-3 hrs light exercise. I'm not far from that calorie goal since I'm around 1750 now.

Any advice, suggestions in regards to the high fat and increasing? I don't think I need to do a reset. I'm 181 lbs now.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2013, 01:39 AM
RE: Whole Foods/High Fat Diet
EM2WL doesn't have "set" macro percentages, just recommendations to start, and we suggest that each person tweak according to any dietary concerns. It's understandable that a person with kidney problems (can't handle excess protein) and a person with Type 2 diabetes (can't handle excess carbs) would need two completely different macronutrient ratios.

The process will work for either person though wink

It's all about adapting it to the individual, because there is no one size fit all. (Although we don't typically recommend very low carb diets unless for health reasons/directed by doctor/dietitian - as they can sometimes *create* the sensitivities that weren't there before the diet)

Since you were only low cal for a month (?) then you shouldn't need to do a reset. Simply increase to the proper amount of cals and go from there happy

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Any prednisone users have success on this diet? Nical01 14 25,535 11-06-2012 08:14 PM
Last Post: Nical01