Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
speed: treadmill vs outdoors
07-13-2012, 11:40 AM
speed: treadmill vs outdoors
Weird question, but is it possible to walk faster outside/naturally than on a treadmill? I know that when I'm walking outside I'm often hitting 4.0 without any trouble (even faster on a good day), but if I do 4.0 on the treadmill I get shin splints almost every time (which I can get when I walk outside too, but only if I'm pushing myself too fast on a low energy day)

Does anyone know what it is about a treadmill that makes it harder on my shins at the same speed? I've also read posts of people saying that they can run a certain speed outside, but if they try that on a treadmill they feel like they are going to get thrown off....so, maybe it's the same type of deal, but I don't exactly understand it.

Nicole
~ I do now what others won't - so I can have later what others can't.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2012, 01:27 PM
RE: speed: treadmill vs outdoors
I have nothing to back this up, but I feel the same way. When I run outside, I can do a 5.2 mph pace, but on the treadmill, I find myself running at 4-4.5. My theory is that it is because the treadmill holds a constant speed, whereas outside I am able to speed or slow as necessary, and then it averages out.

As for shin splints, not sure why the difference there, assuming you are running on pavement outside. I used to get shin splints badly, even with good running shoes, until I got the green superfeet insoles. They run around $40.
07-13-2012, 04:23 PM
You might have something on that 'constant speed' theory. It kinda makes sense. I will look for those insoles...it'd be nice to not get shinsplints any more!

Nicole
~ I do now what others won't - so I can have later what others can't.
07-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Same thing for me. I think part of it in my case is that I have a naturally long stride, and when I walk or run outdoors, I use it. But when I am on a treadmill I shorten my stride out of fear of falling off! big grin

Erin

[Image: 2444404.png]
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
09-24-2013, 03:23 PM
I have always felt the same way! I find it hard to run my normal mile time on the treadmill but once I run outside I can run a mile faster than my usual time. I think it is the way the treadmill forces you to run a specific way..the same exact pace all the time and your strides kind of have to stay the same quick pace to keep your balance.
12-31-2015, 01:27 PM
I have a treadmill at home and i do running on it. But sometime i go outside and do running both are good for living healthy life.
02-19-2016, 06:04 PM
I just think running outside is all together better than the treadmill- I get way too bored on the treadmill