Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
reset serious weight gain, working out and glycogen....
09-27-2013, 12:25 PM
reset serious weight gain, working out and glycogen....
Hi Ladies,

So I have been doing this Eat More for about 9 weeks. My starting weight was 135 and the first 6-7 weeks I had gained 12 lbs or so, but hadn't added in heavy lifting, I would just do 20-30 minutes of circuit weight training 2x per week. Last week I added 3 days a week of heavy lifting with 1-2 days of 6 rounds of 20 secs HIIT with 1min 40 secs rest; this is in addition to Pilates 1x per week, yoga 1-2x per week and I walk 4km about 4-5 times per week.

My weight went up only .5lb the first week but this week it is up another 2 lbs!! This is for a total of 17 lb weight gain during this reset. Based on most of the people's posts on here, they have only gained like 5-10lbs on the reset. Why was mine so drastic? I have hypothyroidism and they just told me to increase the dose this week because my FT4 was low but 90% of my clothes don't fit, I have never ever seen this number on the scale in my life. I am trying to get healthy and get a period but this is rather crazy. I am not freaking out like I used to, but I guess I just need some reassurance that this is normal and it should go away...I just don't like seeing the scale go up and up....can anyone help me with some guidance about what to expect. I know that stress/sodium/HIIT/weight lifting can all affect water retention...I am eating 2055 calories : 40% carb and 30/30 protein fat. THANK YOU
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2013, 02:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2013 02:29 PM by Kiki.)
RE: reset serious weight gain, working out and glycogen....
It is COMPLETELY normal. And it will go away wink

The water retention that comes from both the HIIT and the lifting are greatest in the beginning of a new workout regimen. We love this article from Chalene Johnson about it:
http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp...rkout_plan

And there is no "normal" amount of gain during reset. I've seen some gain nothing (boggles my mind, lol) and others gain 30lbs or more (me, lol). One factor is that the longer you were eating low cals before, the longer it takes your body to reset. We can't expect our bodies to snap back into place in a mere 8 wks, if we've put in 8 yrs of dieting, know what I mean?

A large portion of it will simply be bloating and water retention as our body adapts to each phase (eating more, lifting, etc)., and it will dwindle back down as quickly as it appeared...as long as you DON'T STRESS about it, lol.

The worst thing that we can do at that time is to direct our bodies to release cortisol (more weight gain) because of our worry over something that's temporary. Just trust in the process. Leave a day or two in between heavy lift sessions to give your body time to adjust and release the water until it's accustomed to it. You may also want to increase your water intake slightly during this time.

You will likely notice that your muscle soreness and water retention go hand in hand, which is proving to you that the water has been pulled into the muscle to aid in repair. Nothing to worry about.

You've done your homework...you know what to expect...so...tada, lol...here it is. (isn't is crazy how even though we KNOW it's coming, it's like surprisedI didn't say a thing! when it does?!) laughing

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Thank you so much Kiki. I cannot tell you how much better that makes me feel. You gained 30lbs? Did you write about the process and take photos? I would love to read a book or something from someone who journaled what this is like with photos- it would be so helpful to so many people. Maybe I should write it, LOL. Do you have any recommended books, podcasts (other than Heathers) etc. just to help with this process mentally? I could care less about my scale weight, it is more how my clothes don't fit- blah!
09-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Michelle, feel free to read my long journal. I started lost, reset gained 4lbs, stabilized went to cut and ran into thyroid /adrenal issues and packed on 20lbs. A forced bulk that I now am grateful for because of the muscle gain. So be encouraged and journal... Write that book.

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
09-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks so much Lucia. How do I read your journal?
09-28-2013, 03:48 PM
http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/show...hp?tid=262

It's long and now I wish I added even more detail.

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
10-12-2013, 01:16 AM
I am on exercise to reduce weight and till now I have reduced 5lbs weight during 4 months. I am doing half hour exercise daily and avoiding oil made food.

scaleforless solves your measure problems
02-03-2015, 07:34 PM
I am a noob here, but from what I've read about thyroid/adrenal issues is that working out too much (even if you are eating what you should) can cause major burnout and weight gain for NO reason. This happened to me twice, though I wasn't working out, I was caring for a 4 month old baby and gained 20 pounds in ONE month! Not even joking. It was about 10 pounds with my first baby. Crazy right?

Cutting gluten and possibly dairy is linked to thyroid disease as well and was unfortunately was necessary for me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Do I need to eat more? No weight gain over vacation wookiemouse 3 251 08-03-2017 10:33 PM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
  Gain on cut after lifting heavy? tillymonstar 1 1,051 09-18-2015 10:01 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  EM2WL stopped working due to thyroid issues? wookiemouse 11 7,819 04-23-2015 11:10 PM
Last Post: shinealot
  Why is this not working for me? corey1234 11 5,858 04-16-2015 07:35 PM
  First week on reset and lost weight mom23boys10 2 2,123 06-09-2014 11:12 AM
Sad em2wl isn't working for me and ruined my body Orpheus 8 7,409 01-02-2014 01:09 AM
Last Post: Raynn
  4 months today on reset, attempted cut not working... Ksimmonds 3 4,323 12-06-2013 08:44 PM
Last Post: jaeone
  significant gain in weight and inches runnermom85 5 4,641 11-09-2013 10:20 PM
Last Post: runnermom85
  Ready to throw in the towel after 2 months of OCD food measuring only to GAIN! LuvAlaska 4 7,064 11-01-2013 07:01 AM
  Need guidance: I eat I gain, I cut I gain Naonah 3 3,073 10-26-2012 12:40 PM
Last Post: Kiki