Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
STS now or later? Also, new here - Hello!
09-29-2013, 01:24 PM
Smile STS now or later? Also, new here - Hello!
Hi guys! I've lurked for a bit and finally decided to participate happy I've read a ton on both these forums and the MFP forums and think (?) I know enough to navigate these new waters, but I do have a question: is STS right for me right now?

Background: overexercised but never really VLC in my adult years. I didn't eat enough to support my overexercising to the point where I was netting below BMR and experienced the usual undereating symptoms (sleep problems, dry hair, brain fog, etc). I would say the overexercising/undereating was about 3 years worth. I got down to 149 (I'm now 36 and 5'9") and realized something had to give not when I felt like crap (lol, in a sad way) but when I started gaining on exactly the same program.

I found you guys and reset for 6 weeks, which was uncomfortable but I'm glad I made it through. I stopped resetting when the scale and my reflection in the mirror stopped changing and I was used to eating all my kcal and not looking forward to cutting. In that regard I came to love reset! I've started cutting for 3 weeks and haven't seen too much movement but can still tell I'm on the right path. Clothes feel the slightest bit looser, scale is down about 3 pounds (water I'd guess), BF monitor is steady to down 1% depending on the day. I will re-measure waist, hips, etc in 2 weeks.

I'd still like to lose some fat (I'm at 25%, a realistic goal I feel would be 21-22%) so I figure I should be in a low deficit. Not sure if it matters but I'm now at 168, which is crazy that I am 20 pounds more than my lowest. I think it looks like I've gained some, but certainly not 20 pounds. Whatever. At this point I'm just using the scale as a tool to check my TDEE efforts, because I'm not convinced I'm rock solid on knowing what that number is just yet.

I'm finishing up NROLFW, which I love love love. I never heavy lifted before and its nice to not be a cardio slave anymore. I do NROLFW 3 times a week, walk my dogs 3 miles daily, and do some cardio on other days but have cut waaaaaaay back. I do love running though...

Finally to my question: when NROLFW is over for me in a couple of weeks, should I start STS if I plan on eating at around 13% deficit for 6 weeks, TDEE for 1 week? Or is it more beneficial to do STS when in a bulk/cut cycle? And if you have any other advice based on my background and goals, I'd love the feedback.

Thanks everyone. I'm so glad I found you! Lucia and Kiki should be awarded some sort of humanitarian award, I'm convinced.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2013, 04:08 PM
RE: STS now or later? Also, new here - Hello!
Hey!

So glad you decided to come out and say hi big grin

If you've gone through a NROLFW cycle, then you are more than ready to dive in to STS. The best thing about STS is the fact that it's customizable to the individual. Just like EM2WL, making it the perfect compliment, no matter beginner or advanced lifter. The weights that you select are based on your own 1RM tests and will increase accordingly (the workout cards will tell you when to increase and by how much), so each person is increasing in a way that is personalized to them wink

We ALL come out stronger than when we began, but since strength is relative the person, the max amounts will differ for all of us.

Also, because of this, it doesn't matter how many times you do the program, it will always be different, with new strength/ muscle gains, and periodized just perfectly happy

STS can be done in all phases. For best results, we recommend tweaking the cals to accommodate each phase, but it's perfectly acceptable to eat at TDEE or cut if you prefer not to introduce bulking at this time.

An example of tweaking cals w/each phase could look like this:
Meso 1 - CUT (TDEE -15%)
Meso 2 - MAINTENANCE (TDEE)
Meso 3 - BULK (TDEE + 250 or more)
*(You could also go back down the "pyramid" in the same manner, ending with a cut at M1, for even better results.)

Hope some of that helps?

I hope you'll be joining us! I'm so excited! I wait all year for this, and LOVE having company, lol..

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks, Kiki. That does help! I didn't want to be wasting my time, for lack of a better way to put it, if one is supposed to bulk while doing the program -I'm just not there yet mentally. I could see how it would be optimal, but I'm reassured its not necessary to still see benefits.

If I were to choose to just eat at TDEE instead of bulking, theoretically I'd just be doing a body recomp, correct? Not really gaining nor losing on the scale, just hopefully building muscle while losing fat?
09-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Emma that is correct. You will benefit but just not gain the strength that you would if you ate at surplus. I didn't bulk my first go round and I had great results.

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
09-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Sold! As soon as I finish New Rules I will join you guys...
10-02-2013, 10:41 AM
YES!

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
10-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Can't wait!!! You're gonna LOVE it!

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user